Too good to be true?

Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
edited February 1, 2008 in Cameras
I was looking online to see where I could finsd a good deal and I saw this Canon 40D on Newegg.com which is a site I'm familiar with, but it just seems to cheap. Anyone have experience with them? Also, My parents would probab;y lean away from getting it online and rather in person so if I spent the extra money (depending where I'd get it) I could get 4 free tickets for classes they have.
I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
Canon 40D
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw

Comments

• DrGonzoDrGonzo Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 1, 2008
    Hi Duckys - note that the page you linked is marked "open box" - so it's either a return or a refurbished product, and I think it has a very restricted warranty from newegg, as well. Hence the low price. Newegg is up-front about this, and has special policies for these items. Of course, it's up to you whether you want to take a chance, given the cost savings, but IMO, the savings aren't worth it overall.

For what it's worth, in my experience, newegg has been really fantastic - great selection and prices, especially on computer equipment, and they've always provided excellent customer service to me.
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    I've bought computer hardware from them but never a camera.

I see that this is listed as an 'Open Box' product. Which I assume means that they are cameras that have been returned?

They say they do not have any now. Depending on what their return policy is it might be worth a try.

Edit: I did not read down far enough. Here is the return policy for 'Open Box' items:
    Open-Box Items

* Return for refund within: 15 days
    * Return for replacement within: non-replaceable

This is our Detailed Open Box Item Return Policy. Newegg.com often sells items that are listed as "open-box." Because these items are sold at greatly reduced prices, they bear this limited 15-day refund-only return policy through Newegg.com. Such items can only be returned within 15 days of the applicable invoice date. Newegg.com cannot provide replacement service for these items, as their stock is limited. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of these items is with the buyer. These items have been tested for functionality, but may have superficial physical defects including (but not limited to) scratches, dings or dents. Should these items prove defective following their purchase, the buyer (not the manufacturer, distributor, or Newegg.com) assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repairs, unless otherwise required by law. These items are not covered by any 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

If you purchase an Open-Box product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE item, meaning you will only receive the item itself. Accessories are NOT INCLUDED with Open-Box products, even if the missing accessory is required for the item to function properly.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 1, 2008
    NewEgg is pretty respectable. I often do business with them, but never a camera.

Their ResellerRatings are still pretty high:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Newegg

I suggest that as long as you use a credit card, which gives you some extra degree of buyer protection, I recommend them for any purchase.

B&H is still my #1 source for photographic equipement and where I purchased my Canon 40D (recently). There is more to their establishment than purchase price in that their level of service is the best in the business, and something other companies aspire to.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    I've yet to hear anything bad about newegg so id go for it if it were me.... my only question is this.... what do they consider "Open Box"? is it used? is it a refurb? I mean, Newegg, arent they just a web store? if so, im sure they didnt need to "open" the box to display the camera... maybe give em a shout and ask if its been used at all..
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
    edited February 1, 2008
    DrGonzo wrote:
    Hi Duckys - note that the page you linked is marked "open box" - so it's either a return or a refurbished product, and I think it has a very restricted warranty from newegg, as well. Hence the low price. Newegg is up-front about this, and has special policies for these items. Of course, it's up to you whether you want to take a chance, given the cost savings, but IMO, the savings aren't worth it overall.

For what it's worth, in my experience, newegg has been really fantastic - great selection and prices, especially on computer equipment, and they've always provided excellent customer service to me. :-)

Good catch DG and welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    mrcoons wrote:

I see that this is listed as an 'Open Box' product. Which I assume means that they are cameras that have been returned?

They say they do not have any now. Depending on what their return policy is it might be worth a try.

Edit: I did not read down far enough. Here is the return policy for 'Open Box' items:
    Open-Box Items

This is our Detailed Open Box Item Return Policy. Newegg.com often sells items that are listed as "open-box." Because these items are sold at greatly reduced prices, they bear this limited 15-day refund-only return policy through Newegg.com. Such items can only be returned within 15 days of the applicable invoice date. Newegg.com cannot provide replacement service for these items, as their stock is limited. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of these items is with the buyer. These items have been tested for functionality, but may have superficial physical defects including (but not limited to) scratches, dings or dents. Should these items prove defective following their purchase, the buyer (not the manufacturer, distributor, or Newegg.com) assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repairs, unless otherwise required by law. These items are not covered by any 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

If you purchase an Open-Box product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE item, meaning you will only receive the item itself. Accessories are NOT INCLUDED with Open-Box products, even if the missing accessory is required for the item to function properly.

Ouch... That sound's pretty harsh... Sound's like you lose your Canon warranty...
  • Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Ah, I missed that it was an open box. Thanks for that! Now that I know that I probably won't get it and risk something being missing or bad or etc.
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw
    edited February 1, 2008
    mrcoons wrote:

Open-Box Items

Thanks Mark. thumb.gif

Considering the fact that these cameras might not have all the normally included accessories and how much those alone cost, I would have to take back my suggestion to buy these cameras. For $150USD more B&H and Adorama has these brand new and with full warranty and, of course, all accessories.
    ziggy53
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    I've got a 30D, and a 20D I shoot as backup. These are still not what I would consider "obsolete" (not even the 20D) and they are pretty cheap. If you want to stay under $1,000, you may want to pick one up used.
    Cave ab homine unius libri