After Hours beach fun - Laguna Beach, CA

PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
edited February 3, 2008 in Landscapes
So, I wanted to challenge myself and guess how long the exposure would be at the very last light before total darkness...

...to my suprise, I was able to really push the limits of my exposure at dusk without really having to dramatically up my ISO beyond 400 as long as the exposure was at least 100 seconds.

So here's my best effort - ISO400, f4 @ 160 seconds using a split ND 3.0 grad filter effect.

248983680-L-2.jpg
Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
Master Of Sushi Noms
Amateur CSS Dork

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    eek7.gif Wow! This is a very successful experiment if I do say so myself.

The red sky is very foreboding, but I love it. I also love the water and the reflections therein. It seems surreal that you'd see blue sky between the rocks, but red on the horizon.

To me this seems like a scene from Mordor or something, right out of a fantasy bad guy's shadowlands. lol3.gif

Nice work!
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Nicely done, Pezpix! thumb.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    I like hte colors. Nice.
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    eek7.gif Wow! This is a very successful experiment if I do say so myself.

The red sky is very foreboding, but I love it. I also love the water and the reflections therein. It seems surreal that you'd see blue sky between the rocks, but red on the horizon.

To me this seems like a scene from Mordor or something, right out of a fantasy bad guy's shadowlands. lol3.gif

Nice work!

Yeah, I was pretty stoked on how well the shot turned out considering the factors that were going against it. The ISO noise was not nearly as bad as I expected, and even the sensor noise was manageable considering the situation.

The only downside was having to put three pieces of Lee split ND glass in front of the lens, making image quality go down just a bit, but the effect worked wonders and allowed me to hold back the background dusk enough to illuminate the foreground.
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork