Options

20 D+PW+bracketed 430EX+580 EXII 800 inches away

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited February 16, 2008 in Technique
On this year project I want to shoot bullfighting and I am preparing to do the job.
I visited the place today for the 1.st time.

I'll be using two cameras: the 20D and the 350D.
On the 20D I want to use a flash bracket - I am absolutely decided to use flash, day or night - with a 430 EX 27 inches (60 cms) away from the camera.
The 20 D will also be supporting a PW because the ST-E2 is not good outside and at long distances.
An assistant will be holding for me a 580 EXII - probably snooted - some 20 meters away at the end of a rod. I call this guy my "slave".:D

Because I want to buy only one pair of PW (the transmitter and 1 receiver) I will have the 430 EX - the flash near me - connected with a cable while I will fire the 580 with the PW.

I have a simple question:
How to connect the 20D to the 430 ?
You can say it's easy. OK I know it is easy: Just attach this accessory00006951abs.jpg
to the PW with a cable at least 27 inches (60cms) long.

Am I correct ?:dunno

Or can I simply use the bracket fitting on the flash with a cable to the PW ?

By it's own name "bracket fitting" on the flash is to connect the flash to the camera ...

I can't use for the connection 20D-flash 430 this OCE3_68x68.gif - Off shoe camera cord OC E3 - because then, I wouldn't have "room" for the PW...

Did I explain myself ? Or did I mess everything ?:scratch
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    Antonio,

You can use the canon off-shoe cord for your 430ex, and then attach your pocket wizard transmitter to the PC jack on the side of your 20D. This setup still lets you have full e-TTL for the 430.

I don't know if the rebel has a PC jack though, so you might not be able to do the full setup on your backup body.....
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited February 2, 2008
    I think either Alza or Paramount makes an off shoe cord with a PC jack built into the base of the off shoe cord that mounts in the hot shoe also.

If not, a peanut slave could be used to trigger the PW via a PC cord. A Wein peanut slave is inexpensive.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    HiSPL wrote:
    Antonio,

You can use the canon off-shoe cord for your 430ex, and then attach your pocket wizard transmitter to the PC jack on the side of your 20D. This setup still lets you have full e-TTL for the 430.

I don't know if the rebel has a PC jack though, so you might not be able to do the full setup on your backup body.....

Thank you bowdown.gif
    That's a pretty good idea ! :D
    As matter of fact the 350D will be used with another lens and with the ST-E2 and the 430 bracket or not. So, not a problem in that direction.
    And I do like far better to shoot with the 20D.
    Don't you think that this solution of yours may bring problems with the PW in terms of voltage? I mean technical electrical problems... voltage, amperes, and stuff like that

I have to decide before I buy the PW.
    Thank you. You have been very useful thumb.gifD
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think either Alza or Paramount makes an off shoe cord with a PC jack built into the base of the off shoe cord that mounts in the hot shoe also.

If not, a peanut slave could be used to trigger the PW via a PC cord. A Wein peanut slave is inexpensive.
    Jim. To be honest I understood very little of what you said. :cry
    My fault. It's only lack of vocabulary, that's what it is ! ne_nau.gif
    I will try to decode through my compatriot Rui Leal.
    Thank you. thumb.gif

But don't you think that the previous post just points to a good solution ?
    :D
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiSPL
    Antonio,

Thank you bowdown.gif
    That's a pretty good idea ! :D
    As matter of fact the 350D will be used with another lens and with the ST-E2 and the 430 bracket or not. So, not a problem in that direction.
    And I do like far better to shoot with the 20D.
    Don't you think that this solution of yours may bring problems with the PW in terms of voltage? I mean technical electrical problems... voltage, amperes, and stuff like that

I have to decide before I buy the PW.
    Thank you. You have been very useful thumb.gifD

Antonio,

The info HiSPL posted is correct, and safe.

The PocketWizard's even come with a sync to PW cord in the box for this very purpose.

About the off-camera cord for the flash: If your doing this to try and keep red-eye from occurring, as opposed to the flash being mounted on the camera's hotshoe, I think your going to be surprised/disappointed. The cord is only 2' if stretched out all the way, which you don't want to due because it can damage the wires inside, and it will likely pull over your light stand.

If your shooting a subject thats very far from the flash, that 12"~14" off lens axis that this cord distance will give you is pretty much negated.

Let's say that you set your off camera flash at a 45 degree angle to your subject that is 6' away. All is good... Now if you moved your subject straight back, say 10' further, your lighting is no longer at a 45 degree angle to your subject. I haven't measured this out, but the new angle might be as little as 5~10 degrees. The further your subject is from the off-camera flash, the relatively short flash/camera offset the cord affords is diminished.

In other words; After about 20', your probably going to get red-eye out of the flash that's fairly close to your camera.

The good news: Red-eye is easy to fix thumb.gif, so why not just put this flash on the camera.

Hope that helps...
    Randy
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    250336386-L-1.jpg
    Thank you Randy.bowdown.gif:D
    Great help as usual:D

I am going to operate like the photo herewith, according to HiSPL ideia. :Dthumb.gif
    I am sorry if this time I water marked the photo herewith but I want to place it in my Portuguese blog and - in spite of this blog being of no importance to the photographic community - I don't want people to take it from me.

I will not be working with a 24-70 as shown in the picture but with the 70-200.
    I have been in the place last Friday and I think I can manage very well with my super IS ! :D No converter needed. Or may be just to get some people in the intermission.
    I don't care very much about the red eye business. I hope to be able to have a "slave" with my second flash on the end of a rod 3 meters long, pointing at the scene and filling in the shadows. And I am not going to shoot people too near me.
    Well, that's what I think now ...mwink.gif

I hope to shoot quite a few times and correct if anything goes wrong in terms of red eyes.

I understood what you said about the angles, but I hope not to have that problem because my slave will be there pointing at the scene and - may be, just may be - I will use a snooted flash to concentrate the light on the scene.

I do have however another problem but I would not like to talk about it here: the tourada is part at the Sun and part in the shade and I can't have settings for both places every moment. Well, but that is another thread to be done.

The more distant flash will be a 580 EXII which is coming all the way from Germany. Or the other way around. The 580 near me and the 430 far awayne_nau.gif
    Thank you all. Most kind of you.:Dbowdown.gifDthumb.gif

In terms of connections this is correct isn't it ?

EDIT - I forgot to tell that this equipment is to be used in bull fighting mainly. But I think it also works fine for marriages for example.
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    That's the way to do it, Antonio.

Good luck with the shoot, and don't forget to come back here and show us how it worked!
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    HiSPL wrote:
    That's the way to do it, Antonio.

Good luck with the shoot, and don't forget to come back here and show us how it worked!

Of course not ! :D:D
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited February 15, 2008
    Jim. To be honest I understood very little of what you said. :cry
    My fault. It's only lack of vocabulary, that's what it is ! ne_nau.gif
    I will try to decode through my compatriot Rui Leal.
    Thank you. thumb.gif

But don't you think that the previous post just points to a good solution ?
    :D

Sorry, Antonio.

Randy's answer was better than mine anyway.

Paramount makes an off camera cord that is about 40 inches long ( hence longer than the OEM cord ) and at the base that fits into the camera hot shoe, there is also a PC plug in jack. But the PC connection on the camera is equally suitable as Randy pointed out.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Sorry, Antonio.

Randy's answer was better than mine anyway.

Paramount makes an off camera cord that is about 40 inches long ( hence longer than the OEM cord ) and at the base that fits into the camera hot shoe, there is also a PC plug in jack. But the PC connection on the camera is equally suitable as Randy pointed out.
    Jim. Nobody is perfect. Not even God ! :D

I post here today my "arm" for placing the flash far from me, holded by my assistant/slave.
    The rod can still be used for painting. At it's end a screw was added with the use of some resin.
    255004033_kn3VZ-M.jpg