Options

Back from my South Asia trip - Part 1, Singapore & Sri Lanka

JimbojackJimbojack Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited February 2, 2008 in Journeys
I just came back from a 7 week trip to South Asia. I've taken thousands of photos and it will take me forever to go through them but I thought I'd post some of the more interesting ones here while I work on updating galleries on my website.

I started by flying from Los Angeles through Tokyo to Singapore where I spent a couple of days. From Singapore I flew to Colombo, Sri Lanka. After spending some time in Sri Lanka I flew to Cochin in the Indian state of Kerala. I traveled around the coast of Kerala before making my way through Tamil Nadu to Chennai. From Chennai I flew to Kolkata for a few days before going to Bangladesh. From Bangladesh I went back to Kolkata and flew to Delhi. Afterwards I went to Varanasi, before going to Hyderabad and flying back home through Colombo/Singapore/Tokyo.

Here is a rought map of my trip, flights are in blue overland travel is in red:
Map_South_Asia_Trip.jpg

Here are some photos from the first part of the trip, Singapore & Sri Lanka:

I only spent a day in Singapore, I've been to the city before and decided to take the very first flight I could get to spend more time in Sri Lanka. I spent about half of that day in the wonderful Singapore botanical garden, trying to get over my massive jetlag

Sin_003.jpg

Sin_005.jpg

Sin_006.jpg

Sin_010.jpg

Sin_012.jpg

Sin_020.jpg

Sin_021.jpg

Sin_022.jpg

Sri Lanka:

People working in tea fields. The women pick the green tea leaves and take it to the tea factory. The tea leaves are then placed in a machine that twists the leaves for a few hours and are then dried for another 4-6 hours. After that, the tea is usually taken to another factory that will put it in tea bags and package it for export. The tea picked here is often branded as “Ceylon Tea”, which was the former name of Sri Lanka. I will do a whole page on my site sometime soon (hopefully) about the tea process.

SL_005.jpg

SL_007.jpg

SL_009.jpg

SL_010.jpg

SL_011.jpg

SL_014.jpg

I took a train from Galle to Colombo and spent the entire 3 hours hanging off the side of the entrance on the outside fo the train (It was great!). I took this photo of a child and sleeping woman through the window of the compartment in front of me.

SL_015.jpg

Owner of a small roadside restaurant, the food was very good.

SL_019.jpg

Stairs leading up to and from the top of Sigirya

SL_020.jpg

SL_029.jpg

Monkey

SL_021.jpg

Kandyan Dancing performance, dancer wearing a mask

SL_023.jpg

A 1 day old (right) and a 3 day old (left) turtle at a Turtle hatchery in Kosgoda. The hatchery buys turtle eggs from local fishermen for around $0.11-$0.20 a piece (a couple of cents higher then the market value, which ensures the eggs don’t get sold for food), keeps them until they hatch (around 5 weeks, depending on the species), waits 3 days, and releases the turtles into the sea after sunset so that birds don’t eat too many of them. Below that is a picture of turtle eggs (they are very soft), and newborn turtles. I'll write and post more pictures about the hatchery once I have more time to go through them.

SL_026.jpg

SL_024.jpg

SL_025.jpg

Painted cave in Dambula. There are 5 caves, each very carefully painted. Their use as a place of worship started around the 1st century B.C. when King Valagamba took refuge here after being kicked out of Anuradhapura.

SL_027.jpg

Woman praying at a Buddhist temple

SL_030.jpg

Inside of the Sacred Tooth Temple in Kandy. Sri Lanka’s most important Buddhist temple, this is the place where a tooth of Buddha was taken after being extracted from his funeral pyre in 543 B.C., and smuggled into Sri Lanka in the 4th century A.D. hidden in the hair of a princess. The temple was bombed in 1998 by Tamil Tigers, but has since been repaired.

SL_031.jpg

SL_034.jpg

A wall painting depicting slim-waisted, well-endowed women halfway up the Sigiriya rock. They are believed to be either asparas (celestial nymphs) or the concubines of King Kassapa. Out of a total of 500 original portraits, only about 22 remain today. Nobody knows exactly how old they are, but it is very unlikely they are from the time of King Kassapa (who ruled in the 5th century).

SL_035.jpg

Mist in the forest around the tea plantations

SL_036.jpg

The first of the following photos shows the lit up trail to the top of Adam’s Peak, the second shows Arvo and me eating breakfast at the top around 5:00 A.M. The next photo shows monks making tea before sunrise, and the rest are on the way down. Adam’s Peak is the highest point in Sri Lanka at 2243 meters above sea level. It is believed to be the place where Adam first set foot on earth after being kicked out of heaven. Others believe that this is the place where Buddha took a last step on earth when he was on his way to paradise. It is also known as “butterfly mountain”, a place where butterflies go to die. There is a giant footprint at the top (although it was locked, inside a Buddhist temple so I was not able to see it) which supports these theories. Yet another belief is that the footprint belongs to an early apostle of India, St. Thomas or even that of Lord Shiva.

After going to sleep around 22:30, we woke up at 1:30 and started hiking around 2:30. The hike up to the top is very painful as it is almost completely vertical in some parts (In addition to the incline, there are around 5,200 steps to the top). It took Arvo and I about 2:40 to get to the top with plenty of stops and some chai. We got there a bit too early and had to wait for the sunrise inside a shelter area built for pilgrims. Coming down was nice as we were able to see the beautiful views of the surrounding areas and didn’t need a flashlight for the steps.

SL_037.jpg

SL_038.jpg

SL_039.jpg

SL_040.jpg

SL_041.jpg

SL_042.jpg

SL_043.jpg

I hope you enjoy these photos, more are posted on my website for those interested. I'll be going through the rest of the photos from my trip soon and I'll post the more interesting ones here.
Phillip

Just back from Europe, Eastern Turkey, Iraq and Iran, new photos coming soon!
Over 100 Countries, thousands of pictures, one Website (being redesigned at the moment)
www.Jimbojack.com

Comments

• Options
    nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    Very neat
    Wow, these photos were like opening a National Geographic mag for me. Thanks so much for sharing them along with the dialogue. :D
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • Options
    1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    Very nice work. I especially like the portraits in Sri Lanka.

Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Andy
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    Howdy Phillip,

Thanks so much for sharing, this part of your Wonderful Journey, it is such an interesting look at places I can only hope to get to see, if not, I have seen them through your eyes and for that Thank You!!

Looking forward to more of your Journey.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas