Options

Which DVD should be used for best results

2»

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Maybe you can tell me the difference with an eSATA and SATA. The plug and power up sounds easy :D

SATA is for internal disks, eSATA is external disks. It's that simple. Hopefully you have the appropriate external connector on the back of your system. You need something that looks like this:

eKit945-4 (Medium).jpg

I circled the eSATA port. The cable that plugs into it looks like this.
    Chris
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    SATA is for internal disks, eSATA is external disks. It's that simple. Hopefully you have the appropriate external connector on the back of your system. You need something that looks like this:

eKit945-4 (Medium).jpg

I circled the eSATA port. The cable that plugs into it looks like this.

I don't have an eSATA port :cry Looked for it from your photo and then I was really bummed. I contacted Dell and they said to get any external that can connect with an USB port---am I going have trouble now?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    I don't have an eSATA port :cry Looked for it from your photo and then I was really bummed. I contacted Dell and they said to get any external that can connect with an USB port---am I going have trouble now?

NO all dells come with USB ports my sisters has one on the front of her 1.5yr old machine......my Seagate FreeAgent Pro (500gb external hard drive) is capable of both usb and esata and it is clearly marked where to plug in the usb cable.....but when the new machine gets built ican then convert to the eSata cable..............

Refer back to the above photo and next to the Esata connection are the usb connections with a funky 3 fingered insignia, these are just to the right of the eSata connection and at the top is a connector marked "1394".....this is the firewire connector........................

Hope this has helpped
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:

USB is just fine for externals. USB drives can be pretty fast. Speed should be the only advantage to eSATA over USB, and it's probably pretty minor right now (although in time that may change). Just go with a USB drive and be happy.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    My Dell has the 1394 spot, but its closed off. Why I don't have it...well I missed the boat on that and the eSATA headscratch.gif

I will just get an external that will work with an USB port.

Thanks everyone for your help.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Don't worry about the lack of a built-in eSATA port--that is very, very new. Since you have USB & FireWaire (1394) ports, you're set for the most common interfaces. Go ahead with those. You can't swing a cat in a computer store without hitting a dozen USB peripherals these days.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    I will just get an external that will work with an USB port.

Sorry about a lack of eSATA, but USB will be fine... I would still suggest getting a drive that can do both.

Here's a Newegg link for the Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500 Gig. You can also find these at your local electronics store, too. It'll just cost a few bucks more.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Don't worry about the lack of a built-in eSATA port--that is very, very new. Since you have USB & FireWaire (1394) ports, you're set for the most common interfaces. Go ahead with those. You can't swing a cat in a computer store without hitting a dozen USB peripherals these days.

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    This is all very interesting and useful information, and without hijacking the thread, I'd like to get some input on my current storage and archive system.

I have a fairly new HP a6230n PC with 400GB HD and added another 160GB internal to use as the scratch disk for Photoshop, etc. (overkill, perhaps). I also have an external Seagate Free Agent HD I use for storage of all photos. I do not currently keep any photos on either internal HD. I archive RAW master files on DVD, but just started using Lightscripe disks because the HP has Lightscribe capabilities and the printed DVDs look cool. Maybe not so cool if the disks look good but the files are corrupted after a few years. I also backup the entire system and all photos, (working, finals and masters) routinely to a third HD (Iomega). Final processed images are currently backed up as well to CDs.

I do not have the any photos on either the main 400GB hard drive so they are not on the same drive and the system files and I do not have them on the second internal HD due to the desire to keep them off the scratch disk drive. So far, no problems with the Seagate drive as it is USB connected and seems to transfer fine.

I looked over Art’s info and link for the Mam-A Gold DVDs (thanks, Art!) and they look pretty good. Three hundred years should suffice. eek7.gif
    But they are pricy.

So am I being overly paranoid not to keep the images on one of the internal HDs? And am I being foolish to use the HP DVD disks for archive to DVD?

Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2008
    Since you have one of your additional backups on a non-optical media, you should be OK. I don't know which IOmega media you have, but assume it's a reliable one.

Considering the reality vs claimed lifespan of the normal disks, I have exactly 0% confidence in the claimed 300 years of the MAM-A. Not to discount Art's information, but after being burned already, I'm understandably gun-shy of that technology now.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I made all of my photos backup on Sony DVDs reasonable speed and no problem yet ...
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    HarlanBear wrote:
    This is all very interesting and useful information, and without hijacking the thread, I'd like to get some input on my current storage and archive system.

I have a fairly new HP a6230n PC with 400GB HD and added another 160GB internal to use as the scratch disk for Photoshop, etc. (overkill, perhaps). I also have an external Seagate Free Agent HD I use for storage of all photos. I do not currently keep any photos on either internal HD. I archive RAW master files on DVD, but just started using Lightscripe disks because the HP has Lightscribe capabilities and the printed DVDs look cool. Maybe not so cool if the disks look good but the files are corrupted after a few years. I also backup the entire system and all photos, (working, finals and masters) routinely to a third HD (Iomega). Final processed images are currently backed up as well to CDs.

I do not have the any photos on either the main 400GB hard drive so they are not on the same drive and the system files and I do not have them on the second internal HD due to the desire to keep them off the scratch disk drive. So far, no problems with the Seagate drive as it is USB connected and seems to transfer fine.

I looked over Art’s info and link for the Mam-A Gold DVDs (thanks, Art!) and they look pretty good. Three hundred years should suffice. eek7.gif
    But they are pricy.

So am I being overly paranoid not to keep the images on one of the internal HDs? And am I being foolish to use the HP DVD disks for archive to DVD?

Thanks for any input.

If you are using a very good quality disk (look at the color of the disk ....if it a dye (red, blue, green, purple etc etc) then check with the mfg'er to find out what type.....the MAM-A site tals about dyes also), if the burning side of the disk is silver then it is most likely a metallic foil and should be good for a few years (2-5).....if you have one copy on DVD then why would you be using smaller CD......use dvd's all the way or buy a couple more seagate freeagent pro 750gb ($199@ best buy until store close Sat. 2-16-08) and make into a library of all files.....save a ton of space and only turn it on to archive more files...less run time = more life.........add a second 750 Seagate Freeagent Pro and keep that in safety deposit box....in a friends Browning Fire Proof Gun Safe.... at your mother-in laws basement on a bookshelf......in your ofice deskdrawer........see where I am going....hdd's take up less room and hold one helluva lot more for less money........my own work is moving to keeping everyting on Seagate FREEAGENT PRO DRIVES (NOT SEAGATE / MAXTOR.....as they are actually MAXTOR drives but now owned by Seagate but still using Maxtor technology.....won't last as long as a true SEAGATE)....I will still use MAM-A products for givng out proof disks and slideshows and portfolio slideshows.....but not archiving especially since I am still planning on moving to europe......I would much rather move 5-10 hdd's rahter than several thousand dvd/cd disks........also do your self a great favor go to the ACRONIS WEBSITE AND DOWNLOAD THE TRIAL VERSION OF EASY MIGRATE 7.0 and make a true and complete copy of your "c" drive and store this somehwere safe....there is nothing that can cause your gut to knott up like the death of a "c" drive with all of that software on it......I just lost my 320gb MAXTOR that was my "c" drive.......I had a few softwares that I had bought as downloads and had not migrated to my back up.....now my stuff is lost (newest version of lighroom and some other stuff).....that drive will need recovering and that is very expensive since it was a head to platter crash, wheich means the disk has to be dismantled and then the info removed from each platter......)......any way keep at least one copy of your "c" drive separate in a file cabinet some where.....Luckily I had my original 80gb "c" drive so I could be up and running in like 2 minutes after the crash......my pc came with no recovery disks so I was told about Acronis Migrate and it even copies all the hiden files....I had tried doing a norton ghost but my PSCS would not work and some other software did not function correctly....but with Migrate 7.0....every thing works........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    Some friendly constructive criticism Art, please use the return key & punctuation. That post was painfully difficult to read.