Options

Categories, and Keywords, and Genres, oh my!!

like-picslike-pics Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited March 20, 2005 in Finishing School
Categories, and Keywords, and Genres, oh my!!

When we last saw our heroine she was trying to figure out what software to use for image management ... ; )

After much advice from this group and playing with the demo for a few weeks, I decided on iView Media Pro for my image management. Thanks for all of the help. Now I need a little more advice if y'all don't mind.

I'm not sure what the right word is so I'm going to grab one for lack of a better word, I'm trying to figure out my "lexicon" or "data structure". This isn't really a workflow question because it's really how I setup and use things like keywords and categories vs. how I get organize my files, get them off the camera, back them up, etc.

I'm trying to get some ideas for how to use all of the elements that iView has like Catalogs, Catalog Sets (with sub-containers), Keywords, Genres, and Categories. I know it widely varies per person but I'm looking for ideas. I'm having trouble figuring out how to use all of these different elements effectively.

I'm not a professional photographer. I'd put myself in the low-end "prosumer" category. I take about 10,000 photos a year, mainly of my family and friends, but I do like to play around with just taking interesting photos also. So my photos are more around "events" and just misc. shots vs. photo shoots. After a top level date setup (year and quarter), my photos on disk are set up with folder names like "Christmas 2004 at Grandma's" or "Kids first soccer game" under that because I can never remember the dates things happen but I remember the events.

I have two basic questions.

1) Keywords vs Categories (& Genre)
- I'm really stumped on this one. I know that Genre is the top level of the Category "hierarchy" so I think I have a handle on that. However, I can't figure out how to use categories vs keywords. I can't figure out the intent of those two. I keep finding myself creating categories and keywords that are the same like favorites, kids, scenery shots, etc. and I'm not sure that makes sense.

Any help?

2) Catalogs vs. Catalog Sets
- It seems like it's easier to keep as much in the same catalog as much as possible even though iView seems to have good capabilities to search across catalogs. Do you find that to be true?

- I'm thinking of dividing my catalogs up by date but keeping as much in one catalog as possible ( so multi-years per catalog, then moving onto the next date) then doing catalog sets for the different quarters of each year like 4Q 2004, 1Q 2005, 2Q 2005, etc. Does that sound reasonable? It seems like catalog sets could be used for a lot more but I'm not sure how to use them. Any ideas?

- How do y'all use catalogs and catalog sets?

If anyone has pointers on good ways to use keywords, categories, catalog sets, etc. or pointers to sites where there are some good white papers or documents on the subject, I'd be very grateful.