Hoop Technique Cont'd - Some Issues

KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
edited February 2, 2008 in Sports
So I got to shoot HS hoop again, and attempted to faithfully adhere to Rwells' advice about exposing properly in-camera at all costs, even at very high ISO if necessary (shooting without flash). My results were better than the first time, and Randy you were right -- the resulting noise was no worse than it had been the last time, even with higher ISO. Every shot was exposed per my in-camera metering, generally at f/2.0, 1/320 or 1/400 and ISO 1600. BUT, when I loaded the images in LR each and every one of them was underexposed on the histogram, on average by a full stop plus or minus 1/3. Seems to me that if the camera tells you it's exposing properly, then it should be exposing properly per the histo as well. I will admit that I don't check the histo much while shooting -- no time, no reading glasses, yada yada yada.

Concern #2 is that, while I said noise was no worse, it was certainly noticeable in nearly every shot and required attention in PP. This is a 1D Mk III, for which ISO 1600 should be a cakewalk. Or am I expecting too much?
Posted below are two versions of the same image -- #1 is the original, edited only to match crop (sorta) and white balance of the second. The second has been fully adjusted for exposure and noise (at least rough justice on the noise). My concerns are, is this an alarming amount of noise for this camera, and what's up with the exposure thing? Thanks folks!

Original:
250116301-L.jpg

Cleaned up:
250116262-L.jpg
PS don't be distracted by the darkness and blotchy redness of the shooter's face -- he really looks that way!