Old Barn

ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited February 4, 2008 in Landscapes
Still trying to get the conversions right :) I have a few improvements in mind for this one, so expect the thread to be updated:P C&C as always welcome!

(I'm quite happy with the barn itself, and the grass in front.. But i have to find another method than dodging/burning to get the sky right .. :/ WAY too obvious now :( )

Old_barn_revisited__by_cainadamsson.jpg
-Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.

Comments

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    I think you did fantastic with the conversion of the barn and grass, like you mentioned. The detail is spectacular. clap.gif

The crop feels just a teensy bit off to my eye. I'm wondering if shaving a little off the right and bottom would help or hurt this piece. ne_nau.gif

As for the sky, how are you currently dodging/burning it? I'm a big fan of a neutral gray soft light layer for this purpose--it looks less obvious and allows a subtle, gradual build. Another option is to create a slightly more underexposed version for the sky and then blend in.

Interested to see what you come up with. thumb.gif
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I think you did fantastic with the conversion of the barn and grass, like you mentioned. The detail is spectacular. clap.gif

The crop feels just a teensy bit off to my eye. I'm wondering if shaving a little off the right and bottom would help or hurt this piece. ne_nau.gif

As for the sky, how are you currently dodging/burning it? I'm a big fan of a neutral gray soft light layer for this purpose--it looks less obvious and allows a subtle, gradual build. Another option is to create a slightly more underexposed version for the sky and then blend in.

Interested to see what you come up with. thumb.gif

Glad you liked it! :D I'll try the dodge/burn-tip (i was just using the "normal" tool, since my use of layers kind of got weird in the tree/sky-transition). Thanks for your tips! thumb.gif
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
    edited February 3, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:
    Glad you liked it! :D I'll try the dodge/burn-tip (i was just using the "normal" tool, since my use of layers kind of got weird in the tree/sky-transition). Thanks for your tips! thumb.gif
    Nikolai shared a neat tip on helping that transition in this thread. Using a gradient to fill in the mask helps smooth that line. Look at this post in particular for a good example of the type of gradient mask he's talking about. thumb.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    Hi ulrik,

I can see where you're trying to go and I like it. I agree with Kerry about the sky - I think manually dodging/burning might be too much work and very risky. A separate exposure/layer mask would work better or I think even a simple dark vignetting over your final image would look nice too.

You also have something odd going on along the roofline of that barn. Not sure what it is exactly but if I squint I can see paintbrush strokes. headscratch.gif

A lovely image, regardless! I like your conversion because it has a tasteful amount of contrast and detail, especially in the grass. thumb.gif
    edited February 3, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Nikolai shared a neat tip on helping that transition in this thread. Using a gradient to fill in the mask helps smooth that line. Look at this post in particular for a good example of the type of gradient mask he's talking about. thumb.gif

I'll look into it! Thanks a lot! :)
    -Ulrik

edited February 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Hi ulrik,

I can see where you're trying to go and I like it. I agree with Kerry about the sky - I think manually dodging/burning might be too much work and very risky. A separate exposure/layer mask would work better or I think even a simple dark vignetting over your final image would look nice too.

You also have something odd going on along the roofline of that barn. Not sure what it is exactly but if I squint I can see paintbrush strokes. headscratch.gif

A lovely image, regardless! I like your conversion because it has a tasteful amount of contrast and detail, especially in the grass. thumb.gif

It is paintbrush/blur-tool strokes *blush* The sun shone on the worn out metal top of the ceeling, made it shine, so looked a lot like a halo :P I'll put up an updated version after work! (14 hour shift today :/ )
    -Ulrik

edited February 3, 2008
    Trying again:

250564055-L.jpg

Got the sky right on this one, not sure on the barn and the crop, but the grass came out ok :P I think I'll have to prepare for a few years of practice in this field too :D
    -Ulrik

edited February 3, 2008
    Well the sky looks much better, but now the barn doesn't seem to pop as much as it did in your first version. headscratch.gif And that's way more crop than I was suggesting. Looking at your first version, maybe a quarter- to half-inch from the right and bottom is all I was curious about. I agree that your new version loses something when cropped that heavily.

Getting there! thumb.gif
    edited February 3, 2008
    Ulrik,

I apologize if you have already seen it but your efforts imply to me that layer masks are in your future. Have you see this tutorial? It was a huge eye-opener for me. :D
    edited February 4, 2008
    250755248-L.png

I try to do something like this:P But i do have a lot to learn:)
    -Ulrik

edited February 4, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:

I try to do something like this:P But i do have a lot to learn:)

Woot!! clap.gif Even as a small screencap that looks fabulous! Dramatic, surreal, and ominous. thumb.gif
    edited February 4, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Woot!! clap.gif Even as a small screencap that looks fabulous! Dramatic, surreal, and ominous. thumb.gif

Thank you! :D

250757530-L.jpg
    -Ulrik

edited February 4, 2008
    Okay, that looks awesome! clap.gif Fantastically eerie and decrepit. Haunted. WTG! thumb.gif
    edited February 4, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Okay, that looks awesome! clap.gif Fantastically eerie and decrepit. Haunted. WTG! thumb.gif

(btw, you have to give me a few tips on irish photographing must-see-areas. Flying to scotland/ireland costs like next-to-nothing from norway, so I have planned a trip this summer or autumn - that is, if you have any good tip from over the sea :P )
    -Ulrik

edited February 4, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:

(btw, you have to give me a few tips on irish photographing must-see-areas. Flying to scotland/ireland costs like next-to-nothing from norway, so I have planned a trip this summer or autumn - that is, if you have any good tip from over the sea :P )

I'll send you a PM about Ireland. :D I studied abroad there for six weeks, and my maternal grandparents are from County Kerry (hence my name). Schmoo could give you some Ireland pointers, too, I bet. thumb.gif

Scotland I won't know until I return from my own trip there this summer!

Kudos again on sticking with this image and stretching your skills a bit. The results speak for themselves. clap.gif