Nivarna drop.

VivaxVivax Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited February 4, 2008 in Holy Macro
My 1st try at stacking, its not as easy as it looks when looking at lots of other shots here :scratch , so tips welcome :D

nivarnadrop.jpg

Cheers

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif What a great idea! You might have been flustered by the process of getting this image but I think it worked pretty well.
  • matasamatasa Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    very nice thumb.gif

Can you explain please why you did staking on this shot?
    I can resist everything except temptation
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
  • VivaxVivax Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Thanks for the comments, Very appreciated.

Matasa- I have had this image in my mind for ages (After seeing some drop shots) I tried a couple but the DOF was so small I found it hard to get a good result as I only have the onboard flash at the mo which causes awful reflections so had to use a desk lamp for lighting and wide apertures. Dowloaded the CombineZM program which although a little baffling at first seems a great freebie tool.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    matasa wrote:
    very nice thumb.gif

Can you explain please why you did staking on this shot?

It's actually quite hard to get both the water drop and the refracted image in focus at the same time. With a flat subject such as a picture/photo as used in this case it's a little bit easier but with a real 3-D subject being refracted the refracted image has a suprising amount of depth. So focus stacking just makes it a lot easier with a 2-D subject and is just about essential for a 3-D subject.
    You can see what I mean in the example shots used in this tutorial. http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/72157594313729574/

brian V.
  • matasamatasa Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Thank you very much Vivax and Brian, your information is very helpful, I will try in nearest future and share results with you :)

thanks again
    I can resist everything except temptation
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Vivax wrote:
    My 1st try at stacking, its not as easy as it looks when looking at lots of other shots here headscratch.gif , so tips welcome :D

Cheers

You folks just amaze me with what you come up with clap.gif
    That's a really cool shot Vivax nod.gif

How clever are you hey thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin