I just ordered a Bigma.

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited February 5, 2008 in Cameras
Well I knew It was gonna be the Bigma. Despite wanting other equipment, I would like to cut down on a few lenses (I don't like the quality of my 28-200mm lens, and my 18-55, well it reaches into the wide angle range of the bigma).

Thing's gonna be heavy. :wink

But from pretty much everything I've been hearing, it's a great bang for the buck, and the better of sigma's three zooms (the 170-500 and the 135-400).

There goes a month of saving. :cry I'm sure it'll be worth it though, I'm gonna have loads of fun! :thumb
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• TelecorderTelecorder Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    You'll love it...
    Well I knew It was gonna be the Bigma. Despite wanting other equipment, I would like to cut down on a few lenses (I don't like the quality of my 28-200mm lens, and my 18-55, well it reaches into the wide angle range of the bigma).

Thing's gonna be heavy. mwink.gif

But from pretty much everything I've been hearing, it's a great bang for the buck, and the better of sigma's three zooms (the 170-500 and the 135-400).

There goes a month of saving. :cry I'm sure it'll be worth it though, I'm gonna have loads of fun! thumb.gif

With you being based in Reno, I think that you'll find its a great lens for the buck and will be a good All-in-One lens solution while you're out and about...

Landscape one minute...
    136110975-L.jpg

Perched Raptors the next...
    136088774-L.jpg

238810508-L.jpg

And then on the wing for another..
    136088765-L.jpg

As one would expect, its best on a tripod for stationary subjects; with a monopod for others but its pretty capable of BIF/wildlife with hand held and good techniques/settings (Burst Mode; Auto-ISO; Shutter-priority at 1/800).

Their new 150-500 w/HSM & OS is looking like a winner if its IQ and capabilities are anywhere near the venerable BIGMA...mwink.gif
    Telecorder (Dave)
    Apple Valley, CA
    D50-BIGMA-70-300VRII-35f2D-18-70DX-FZ30
    My SmugMug Image Galleries
    My Nikonian Image Galleries
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    I just ordered a Bigma

Thing's gonna be heavy. mwink.gif

There goes a month of saving. :cry I'm sure it'll be worth it though, I'm gonna have loads of fun! thumb.gif

Congrats clap.gif I just sold mine to a good friend because it was kinda heavy for me. I have a deteriorating shoulder muscle & the 4.1 lb beast made it difficult to hold, let alone carry around my neck. You will enjoy it without a doubt. My copy was sharp & contrasty & every bit as good as the Canon 100-400 IS. If you visit my photosite, you'll see a very good picture of the moon and even 1 picture of Jupiter w/ 4 of it's moons.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Congrats clap.gif I just sold mine to a good friend because it was kinda heavy for me. I have a deteriorating shoulder muscle & the 4.1 lb beast made it difficult to hold, let alone carry around my neck. You will enjoy it without a doubt. My copy was sharp & contrasty & every bit as good as the Canon 100-400 IS. If you visit my photosite, you'll see a very good picture of the moon and even 1 picture of Jupiter w/ 4 of it's moons.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...

One of the things that really captivates me is the quality of moon photos they can get out of a 500mm or bigger lens. I have Sigma's 2x Teleconverter, so I'm hoping at 1000mm, I can get some good moon photos. :)

I need to find extention tubes for the pentax. :)
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • TelecorderTelecorder Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    One of the things that really captivates me is the quality of moon photos they can get out of a 500mm or bigger lens. I have Sigma's 2x Teleconverter, so I'm hoping at 1000mm, I can get some good moon photos. :)

Keep in mind that there will be some degradation of the IQ with the 2X TC and, at this magnification, the atmospheric turbulence will be an additional hindrance to a good IQ image...

Best to have a rock solid tripod/bean bag; allow the camera to reach temp equilibrium, shoot when near zenith to minimize atmospheric distortions and use the 20-sec timer
    Telecorder (Dave)
    Apple Valley, CA
    D50-BIGMA-70-300VRII-35f2D-18-70DX-FZ30
    My SmugMug Image Galleries
    My Nikonian Image Galleries
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008

I tried a Quantaray 2x and the results were not pretty. 1.4x may be the limit for decent quality. Good luck.
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    I've used the 2x with the 50-500mm, the Sigma 2x isn't that bad. :)