nat.svl.kavam.net traffic?

troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited February 4, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi all,

Over the last few weeks I have been getting a slow but steady stream of single image or gallery hits from various nat.svl.kavam.net locations. The hit is usually only for a single image request with no refering url - as logged by statcounter. So far all of these have appeared to hit public galleries, but I have enough traffic everyday that the 500 statcounter hits is not going to catch all of the traffic each day and I am not sure if I would have noticed if it had stumbled on any of the non-public, but not password protected galleries on my site. I am curious as to who/what is creating the traffic - if it is just some sort of search engine performing a drunken walk sort of indexing; if someone is trying to uncover non-public smugmug galleries by randomly entering gallery and image data and logging what comes back; if there is some photo index out there now that has indexed my photos and has the refering data locked; or if I have some fan out there who is up 24/7, but only has the free time to view a couple random images every day.

Anyone else out there seeing traffic from nat.svl.kavam.net?

Andy
www.troutstreaming.com
Outdoor and Sports Media

Comments

• OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    It's apparently a Searchme spider called Charlotte :D, powered by (if that's the right term) Limelight Networks, a big content delivery company. It's been extremely active the past few weeks and a lot of people are asking questions about it because it doesn't behave like other spiders. Here's a link to the Charlotte page with more info, including how to block access.
  • troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    It's apparently a Searchme spider called Charlotte :D, powered by (if that's the right term) Limelight Networks, a big content delivery company. It's been extremely active the past few weeks and a lot of people are asking questions about it because it doesn't behave like other spiders. Here's a link to the Charlotte page with more info, including how to block access.

Thanks!
    www.troutstreaming.com
    Outdoor and Sports Media