Options

Queen Mary, Long Beach, many pics.

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited February 5, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Queen Mary is an old coal powered British Ocean Liner, permanently moored at the Long Beach Harbor. It's full of Art Deco design and many films have been shot here including the Aviator, Poseidon Adventure, Pearl Harbor, to name a few. LAShooters had a semi monthly shootout here yesterday. Here are some pics from the day.

1. Opening shot. Nice clouds that day.
250708287-M-1.jpg

2. Wedding Chapel by the stern. There was a wedding that day.
250710129-M-1.jpg

3. It recently rained a lot and there actually were grass growing between the deck boards.
250703906-M-1.jpg

4. Lifeboats. LA Harbor in the background.
250704629-M-1.jpg

5. Bridge.
250708468-M-1.jpg

6. Walkway to the lookout tower.
250706555-M-1.jpg

7. Self portrait with some fellow shooters. Long Beach Harbor in the reflections. Note one member chimping away. ha ha ha.
250709999-M-1.jpg

8. What's in the news?
250711368-M-1.jpg

9. LA Harbor through a window.
250707583-M-1.jpg
Whole Gallery is here.
http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/575086/1/250708287#P-1-15
C/C welcome.

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Queen Mary is an old coal powered British Ocean Liner, permanently moored at the Long Beach Harbor. It's full of Art Deco design and many films have been shot here including the Aviator, Poseidon Adventure, Pearl Harbor, to name a few. LAShooters had a semi monthly shootout here yesterday. Here are some pics from the day.

1. Opening shot. Nice clouds that day.
    2. Wedding Chapel by the stern. There was a wedding that day.
    3. It recently rained a lot and there actually were grass growing between the deck boards.
    4. Lifeboats. LA Harbor in the background.
    5. Bridge.
    6. Walkway to the lookout tower.
    7. Self portrait with some fellow shooters. Long Beach Harbor in the reflections. Note one member chimping away. ha ha ha.
    8. What's in the news?
    9. LA Harbor through a window.
    Whole Gallery is here.
    http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/575086/1/250708287#P-1-15
    C/C welcome.

Hi there Tee Why, The Queen Mary is probably one of the most photographed ships, and what a vessel it is.

I love that third shot of the grass growing on the deck.
    The light is pretty special on that shot, like a spot light just for the grass.

Very nice Series thumb.gif thanks for sharing ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Great series, the perspectives and compositions are fantastic. Well Done. clap.gif
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    number 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 are really great! beautifull compositions and moody atmosfere!! bowdown.gif

very good job on the post processing as well, love the vignetting!! wings.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    PackMulePackMule Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Beautiful shots!

Could someone tell me how to find the data (EXIF?) on what focal length/exposures were used on a particular photograph? Being a n00b, I'm interested in learning the basics of what type of lens is used for a given shot, etc.

I thought I've seen such data when right-clicking images, but don't seem to see it now. headscratch.gif

Thanks!

Nate
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    PackMule wrote:
    Beautiful shots!

Could someone tell me how to find the data (EXIF?) on what focal length/exposures were used on a particular photograph? Being a n00b, I'm interested in learning the basics of what type of lens is used for a given shot, etc.

I thought I've seen such data when right-clicking images, but don't seem to see it now. headscratch.gif

Thanks!

Nate
    Sorry Packmule, I don't post exif in the pics b/c my philosophy is that it's not the gear tha matters.

Shots 1,2,4,6,7,9 are all made with the Sigma 10-20. No. 3 was with a 50mm macro, and the rest were with a Sigma 20mm f1.8. For shots like this, I usually shoot in AV mode to control depth of field and just increase ISO till I can assure adequate shutter speed to prevent handshake. With the 50macro and the 20, I generally shoot close to wide open aperture to get a shallow dof and isolate the subject.

Ideally, I like ultrawides for a grand opening shot than a close focusing wide lens or a 50mm macro for close up detail shots. Once in a while I bust out the 135mm lens to get really small field of view and catch small details but not a such a close up feel that a macro leaves.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    1, 3, 4, and 5 are fantastic! thumb.gif

I went there when I was a kid- maybe it is time I take mine. Is the Spruce Goose still near bye too?

I like your PP treatment too.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    1, 3, 4, and 5 are fantastic! thumb.gif

I went there when I was a kid- maybe it is time I take mine. Is the Spruce Goose still near bye too?

I like your PP treatment too.
    Thanks.

Unfortunately, the Spruce Goose was sold several eyars ago and it's in Washington IIRC. The dome sits empty most of the time, except they are having a Star Trek exhibit there right now. They may turn it into a terminal for cruise ships though.

As for the PP, I use DPP most of the time, lightroom once in awhile if the lighting is tough and convert the RAW to JPEG and in PS elements 2 (yes 2) I do some dodge/burn/contrast/selection, nothing too fancy though.
  • Options
    PackMulePackMule Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Sorry Packmule, I don't post exif in the pics b/c my philosophy is that it's not the gear tha matters.

No prob. thumb.gif
    Shots 1,2,4,6,7,9 are all made with the Sigma 10-20. No. 3 was with a 50mm macro, and the rest were with a Sigma 20mm f1.8. For shots like this, I usually shoot in AV mode to control depth of field and just increase ISO till I can assure adequate shutter speed to prevent handshake. With the 50macro and the 20, I generally shoot close to wide open aperture to get a shallow dof and isolate the subject.

Awesome! Thanks for the lesson! beer.gif
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    OK, a few more from the day.
    10. I guess this is the engine control/helm control in the bridge. Taken with a 135mm f2L.
    250712303-M-1.jpg

11. I do this shot every time I am there b/c I just like the look of it. It is one of the decks by the bow. You can see the curvature and the light is very interesting. At least for me.
    250705325-M-1.jpg

12. This is along the port side prominade deck, which is a covered deck. You can see that the ship is actually not straight but curved out by the shadows. As many times as I've been aboard the QM, I've not seen this but the winter sun sets at a very different place and allowed for such lighting.
    250703106-M-1.jpg

13. I stayed just past the sunset to catch the twilight after the sunset. Like I said, I haven't seen the sun set so left of the portside before so it was interesting for me. That's LA Harbor to the left with all those tall cargo ship cranes. I got lucky and got a reflection of the harbor on the window of the ship at the very right of the shot.
    250712592-M-1.jpg

13. Another view with the framing by the windows.
    250700728-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    If I ever get down to L.A. again, I'm going to have to put this on my must shoot list! You have some really interesting photos in this thread!
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    Dee wrote:
    If I ever get down to L.A. again, I'm going to have to put this on my must shoot list! You have some really interesting photos in this thread!
    Hey thanks. Yea, the Queen is a neat place if one slows down and look around. Unfortunately, it's not well kept so there is some of urban decay type of stuff. It's actually kind of sad to see so much rust. The roof on the bridge actually has holes bigger than the width of your finger where rain is coming in and during the recent storms, they put 5 gallon bucket under them to catch the rain.
    Sad.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Hey thanks. Yea, the Queen is a neat place if one slows down and look around. Unfortunately, it's not well kept so there is some of urban decay type of stuff. It's actually kind of sad to see so much rust. The roof on the bridge actually has holes bigger than the width of your finger where rain is coming in and during the recent storms, they put 5 gallon bucket under them to catch the rain.
    Sad.

That's so sad to hear.