Options

Thailand Trip

GunGun Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited February 4, 2008 in Journeys
I'm new here and this is my first post. (Hooray!)
I'm not quite sure if I belong here or not. My camera is just a point&shoots kind. But I still love taking photo as much as the next guy. So mostly I just look toward to tips on composition rather than technical camera settings.

Anyway, let’s see if my friend and I are any good.

We start the day with some noodle soup and dimsum at 7 in the morning. (They have a few dimsum items that I’ve never seen in Chinese restaurant)

2006_12260016.jpg

Then we went on a 2 hours ride to the island.
DSC01094.jpg

Stop for a bit of snorkeling.

2006_12260023.jpg

Pretty nice beach isn’t it?
2006_12260058.jpg

Kinda hard taking a picture of the beach, it’s just sea and sand.
DSC01782.jpg

Cute critter to keep you company.
2006_12260082.jpg

Home away from home
2006_12260085.jpg

Many yacht and scuba liveaboard anchor on the back of the island.
2006_12260105.jpg

Morning sun
2006_12260122.jpg

DSC01519.jpg

Let’s go snorkeling.
2006_12260131.jpg

2006_12260202.jpg

Just another day in paradise
DSC00506.jpg

I actually prefer picture with people in it but I have a problem incorporating people without making it look like a boring family photo-ish.
I also just made a personal website to try to collect some good idea for a travel photo.

Comments

• Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    hi Gun!

welcome to dgrin and great first post!

you have a nice eye for the compositions. i like the one with the rope leading into the frame and the snorkel set on the beach. You were wondering how you can make a beach look interesting, and i think this is the way to go. make the beach a background for something else so the two can help eachother. Works better than the dizzying tilted horizon mwink.gif

you are doing great in giving people room to swim/walk in the photo and i think you should try to not photograph people when they are expecting it and photographing them when theyre not. that gives some more natural poses and genuine character. hope this helps.

greets chris :D

edit: there are some great books about composition and such as well. brian petersons 'seeing creatively' is nice and i'm about to order 'the photographers eye' which should be good as well.
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    What a sweet first post!!

I love the flippers shot! Makes me want to go snorkling soon!

fyi, I think most of us dgrinners believe it is the shooter that counts, not the camera. So don't worry if you don't belong here or not, cause you belong here.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Nice first post!

I like the shot that is tilted. If you look at the boat and the way that it's tethered in the water, it almost looks it's the tilt of the picture that's pulling the boat away from the tether. Kind of cool. I don't know if you planned it, but it still looks neat.
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    haha well now you also see that oppinions differ and you should always do what YOU think makes a nice composition mwink.gifD
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GunGun Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 4, 2008
    Thank you all for your feedbacks. The cabin shot is actually from my friend camera. he used one of those semi-SLR camera. I took the same shot but was having problem with the focus.

I see what you mean in the tilted picture, i just noticed it too. it might look a bit better if we could see that rope a little clearer.

I wish i could've been there earlier before the tsunami thing. The corals are still recovering.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    I like the last shot best of all. really nice light, color, and composition. Welcome and great shots!
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    I started here with a point and shoot as well. I dont think I take better photos now...there just a little sharper heh.

You did a great job with the photos!
  • Options
    BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    They look like great pics to meclap.gif
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr