Got an xTi for macro photography, what next?

bchaplinbchaplin Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited February 6, 2008 in Holy Macro
Hope this is the right forum, since my question mostly concerns macro photography.

Inspired by the examples here, I bit the bullet and bought my first DSLR, an xTi. I'm planning the purchase of the Canon 100mm macro lens. For me, this is a huge investment for a "hobby". I'm embarrassed to let anyone know how much I spent! If I can start taking good pictures, the costs will be more justifiable. I am wondering what other accessories I need beyond the macro lens. I'm considering:

tripod (blurry pictures are a problem for me)
macro flash
camera bag
Lightroom, (at the academic discount), and a book on how to use it

How should I prioritize among those things? I want to buy enough so that I can stop worrying about what else I need, and start learning. I've tried a lot of pictures with the kits lens, particularly macro shots taken in the woods, but none of them have been so great. That could definitely be due to my own photographic shortcomings rather than a lack of equipment, though!

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    My shopping list would be something like
    Lens - Tokina 100 or Tamron 90 or Sigma 105 or canon 100 - they are all equally sharp.

Flash 430Ex with off camera cord and Hakuba LH-1 ballhead flash bracket. You can then use the flash for normal photography. Make your own flash diffuser.

Tripod or monopod if you need them (I just use a bean pole).
    Shoot RAW and use canon DPP for conversions.

Think Id just use photoshop elements for PP- you don't normally need a lot of PP for macro shooting.

Brian V.
  • bchaplinbchaplin Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Thanks -- that's really helpful. I appreciate the suggestion to look at Adobe Photoshop Elements. It is a little cheaper than Lightroom, but more importantly, looks a lot more user-friendly.
  • DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Another item you might find helpful and fun would be a set of Kenko extension tubes. They go between your lens and camera body and allow you to get much closer to your subject. They're great for getting close ups of insect eyes, etc.
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    It sounds like money is a factor here. Is so do consider third party lenses as mentioned above. Only lens I'd also throw in is a Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro. A very nice lens. Buying a third party lens may save you a $100 or so.

Check resellerratings.com before you order, if you order online, to save some dough.

After that, I'd consider a tripod and a remote shutter release, then a flash.