Options

Snowy Egret

tsiyatsiya Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited March 30, 2004 in Wildlife
I have a good series of different poses of this bird, it was waiting for the tide to change, and there were no little tourist kids running around scaring everything away. This from the OLY C4000, PL filter and 2X accessory lens. BTW, UTM coords for this shot are E 469,619 N 3,308,207 Zone 17
Go to http://jdmcox.com/ and give the freeware a try. You can actually download a photo map with enough detail to see the little bridge this bird and I were sitting on. The GPS is now a permanent resident of My camera bag.

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    tsiya wrote:
    I have a good series of different poses of this bird, it was waiting for the tide to change, and there were no little tourist kids running around scaring everything away. This from the OLY C4000, PL filter and 2X accessory lens. BTW, UTM coords for this shot are E 469,619 N 3,308,207 Zone 17
    Go to http://jdmcox.com/ and give the freeware a try. You can actually download a photo map with enough detail to see the little bridge this bird and I were sitting on. The GPS is now a permanent resident of My camera bag.
    Lovely shot tsiya, beautiful bird is'nt it. What f stop and shutter speed did you use and was it overcast?
    Lynn
  • Options
    tsiyatsiya Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2004
    I usually let the Olympus run free
    lynnma wrote:
    Lovely shot tsiya, beautiful bird is'nt it. What f stop and shutter speed did you use and was it overcast?
    Lynn
    I am careful to set WB as the day goes on, if there are extremes, otherwise I give the camera free rein. It usually settles on about 1/400 for a shot like this. I do set the exposure on white bird shots down at least to -1.0, often more, or the detail will burn out even on an overcast day. I shoot only in TIF, and at ISO 100. With small cameras grainieness is a thing to avoid. I can bring things up with software {JASC} but once the detail is burnt out, it is gone to bright white. I use a PL filter for anything near water or white sand. I am not a scientist about things, and likely too old to start now. If I am not under pressure I do look at the histogram occasionally, but most shots come with no prep time. I just try to have some fun with it all. I will need to start paying attention to the numbers, I've been posting on a forum that asks for the details. I've also been working with wildflowers, they stand still, and I have time to think about what I'm doing.