Men's Flag Football Scrimmage

gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited February 6, 2008 in Sports
Hi Guys

First post here, so be gentle ;-)

I stopped and took some shots of a local men's flag football game. The colors are blah because the grass is still dead here in Philly.

C and C welcome of course...I know I have to work on my cropping ;-)

Thanks for looking
Ed

250547987-M.jpg

250548119-M.jpg

250548284-M.jpg

250535483-M.jpg
Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
http://ergphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Welcome!

The first thing I would suggest is switching to portrait orientation when shooting. 90% of the time the action is more vertical than horizontal. The only time I'll switch is when framing is REALLY tight (i.e. only torso is in the frame).

That will solve a lot of your framing problems where body parts are cut off and you have uninteresting dead space around your subjects.

Now, next suggestion - in a bright sun situation like below you want to protect the colors in the skin tones. Yours are a bit bright - not quite blown yet but definitely too bright. Most of the time I prefer to set a manual exposure - exposing for faces. I'll adjust the exposure as I move around the field. If you don't want to set a manual exposure, then use Exposure compensation to dial the exposure down a bit to protect the skin tones.

You've got some nice action here and sharpness is good. If you shoot portrait orientation next time and make sure the exposure is set for SKIN and not clothes/background you'll see a big improvement.

But good work for just starting out!
  • gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Thank you John VERY much...I really appreciate it.

It has been tough taking these pics in the middle of the day with the high sun. They play every weekend around the same time, so I will keep practicing. I will certainly dial it down to avoid any blowouts.

I started late last year showing up at little league football games and was quite surprised at the reaction. Since they never had someone do action shots, I guess I timed it pretty good.

I will try and post some of those shots soon

Thanks again and any feedback is appreciated. My goal is to get onto Sports Shooter, but I have a lot more practice to go

You guys are all great here and the quality of your pictures are something that I hope I can achieve some day

Take care
    Ed
    Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
    http://ergphoto.smugmug.com
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    great action. clap.gif that bright sun can be tough on exposure. I think I would have cropped them tighter or rotated the crop on these.. well done though
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave