Options

Idea for Camera gear closet

2»

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Costco has gun safes too. They were in the $800-900 range with shelving. I was going to get one to keep in the studio and my landlord said not to because he has had people robbed because they had a safe and/or the theives know exactly where things are if they want them - so that defeats some of the purpose.

if you get a safe, be sure to bolt is securely to the floor, this makes removing it very very difficult.

Thing is, any safe that is rated for theft will be really quite expensive. By rated, I mean one that is tested to deter a thief for XX mins. Most safes, especially gun safes, are really designed to keep them away from kids or others that may mis-use the gun, and is simply to deter the use of the gun, not protect from theft. In addition, a safe is NOT water or air proof, meaning they do not protect from humidity. Even fire safes are not waterproof, until they melt in a fire, in which case the eddges melt together forming a seal.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Great thread! I went and purchased a couple of ClosetMaid 5x5 organizers from a local Lowe's. Exactly what I needed for a longest time.

339193973_eqiiB-XL.jpg
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    waldo647waldo647 Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Avoiding excess humidity
    We store our gear in a closet with shelves, and with loose fitting sliding doors, in what was previously our master bedroom, now converted to a study/digital darkroom. Our main shower also adjoins this room, and occasionally the mirror gets fogged up. I'm thinking this isn't a good idea!

Here's the question: should be store our gear in a neutral environment, i.e. a cool closet downstairs away from the humidity of the shower?

Also: would storing gear in plastic boxes with silica gel also present a problem when taking gear out on more humid days? In other words, might there be just as big an issue if gear is stored around 10% humidity, and we take it out on days with humidity from 60-100% (common in rainy season).

Thanks for any thoughts!
    - Chris
    waldo647images.com
  • Options
    roakeyroakey Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    If you use a gun safe, be absolutely sure to use several 1 pound bags or containers of silicagel and recharge them in an oven on a regular basis.
    Or use a goldenrod dehumidifier.

Roak
    [email]roakeyatunderctekdotcom[/email]
    <== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Great thread! I went and purchased a couple of ClosetMaid 5x5 organizers from a local Lowe's. Exactly what I needed for a longest time.

339193973_eqiiB-S.jpg

These are pretty good for a lot of stuff. Lowe's eh? Funny, when I started this thread I had so much more gear than I do now. Now I'm down to 2 bodies and one lens.
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    ...aboot a place to keep his gear...

Dude, you must be Canadian!
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"