Boston at Night

blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited February 5, 2008 in Landscapes
A few from Saturday night's Boston shoot with some POTNers:

2243336300_5a08bcfeba.jpg
2242543345_2b3b0d3fc4.jpg
2242543279_40b3006c2a.jpg

(Click through for larger versions on Flickr.)

C&C welcomed. When it comes to night shots like these, I'm always torn on what to do with the white balance. The orange/yellow tinge – while not accurate –*feels "right" for many of them, and with so many different light sources in different parts of the scene, it's impossible (er, I think...) to consistently correct them. So the incorrect colors become part of the artist's interpretation.

This was a group outing lead by a native Bostonian, and it was really cool to see what other people came up with given the same scene.

Comments

• GunGun Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 4, 2008
    Wow, this looks really nice. I like the #2 best. The green tinted street light against the dark sky and dark water is awesome.
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    I can't decide if 2 or 3 is my favorite. The first I think the orange sky is a little distracting.
  • blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Thanks!

The streetlight is a little green there, but, short of doing a bunch of Photoshopping to correct the colors (my goal is to get *away* from the computer!), I like this compromise the best.

f00sion, I agree. That was my biggest frustration that night. We started out with *awesome* clouds that gave some great blur for the longer exposures and ended up with pretty heavy cloud cover which reflected the city lights.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    WOW- I really like the 3rd one thumb.gif

Looks like the 2nd could use a little straightening - seems a slight tilt from left to right.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    I like #2 with the blue in the sky and the reflectins off the water, green on the streets. Nice catch.
    edited February 5, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    WOW- I really like the 3rd one thumb.gif

Looks like the 2nd could use a little straightening - seems a slight tilt from left to right.
    Thanks! I think you might be right about that. I seem to have difficulty with horizons at night. And I lost my bubble level. :cry
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    blalor wrote:
    Thanks!

The streetlight is a little green there, but, short of doing a bunch of Photoshopping to correct the colors (my goal is to get *away* from the computer!), I like this compromise the best.

f00sion, I agree. That was my biggest frustration that night. We started out with *awesome* clouds that gave some great blur for the longer exposures and ended up with pretty heavy cloud cover which reflected the city lights.

Really nice stuff, Blalor. The clouds were my biggest frustration that night as well. My best shots were at our first stop on the waterfront and at the end under the Zakim bridge.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    I think those are fantastic!

can't decide between 2 and 3!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited February 5, 2008
    I think those are fantastic!

can't decide between 2 and 3!
    I can't, either, which is why I posted 'em both. :)
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    # 2 is my favorite...and I agree it's tilting just a tad.