Gymnastics at ISO3200 (as promised)

SirGeorgeSirGeorge Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
edited February 6, 2008 in Sports
Hi guys,
On Sunday I swithched from ISO1600 and pushing the exposure to ISO3200 with a regular exposure and my results were dfinitely better.I am now a 3200 convert (only exposure pushing...unless I have to) I have posted two comparison images depicted the image at 3200 and the image with noise removed. Unfortunately, the small file size dosn't show the detail but if you visit my smugmug site I have set the image size to XL2 and you can really see the benefit of noise removal.

http://www.digitalphotoconcept.smugmug.com/Gymnastics/456046

And for kicks, I also aded two other shots for gthe shoot (which I like)
Kind regards,

20080203-IMG_0849lorescomp.jpg
20080203-IMG_1048lorescomp.jpg
20080203-IMG_0957gymnasticslores.jpg
20080203-IMG_1187gymnasticslores.jpg

Comments

• SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    George these look great. Appreciated you posting some for us to view at ISO 3200. I use Neat Image but it is only the demo version but does not put a grid on the photo like some.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • SirGeorgeSirGeorge Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    NeatImage and workflow
    Shane,
    I would recommend shelling out the $50 for NeatImage especially if you batch process large number of images. I have a track meet toinight and I will probably process 400 images out of the 600 that I will shoot. In my workflow, I catalog and label in Bridge, adjust in Lightroom and then, and this is the exciting part...I installed NeatImage as a Plug-In in PS CS3 and then create an action to USM and apply the NeatImage filter.

Now the really cool part...using PS's Automate function, I apply the NeatImage action to all images in the folder and batch process them while I sleep. When I wake up all my images have had the noise removed and I can enjoy breakfast.

Hopefully, I am not telling everyone something that they already know. If I am I apologize.

Kind regards,
    George

SitterS wrote:
    George these look great. Appreciated you posting some for us to view at ISO 3200. I use Neat Image but it is only the demo version but does not put a grid on the photo like some.

Shane
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Anyone know how this compares with Noise Ninja? I have used NN within Bibble ages ago and was impressed.
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    well doneclap.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Anyone know how this compares with Noise Ninja? I have used NN within Bibble ages ago and was impressed.

The UK-based Digital Photopgrapher mag did a noise reduction software comparison an issue or two ago - their findings were that Neat Image beat out Noise Ninja, but only just. I think Neat offered slightly better detail preservation and artifact reduction. However, I have not ever used noise ninja myself for a side by side comparo - I just nodded in appreciation that I was on the winning team and got on with my photo processing. thumb.gif
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    This is just adding to what Randy (rwells) was saying in another thread regarding the quality of a well-exposed photo at ISO 3200. This comparison is between two shots at ISO 1600 and 3200 of equivalent exposures. These are straight from a Canon 30D without any adjustment other than being converted from RAW to JPG using Canon DPP.

In other words, high ISO on the 30D is a very viable option, and it's a good thing to have options. Enjoy.

#1 - ISO 1600
    iso1600.JPG?imgmax=800

#2 - ISO 3200
    iso3200.JPG?imgmax=800

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips