Photographer's Insurance

Mulder32Mulder32 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited April 16, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm just starting out and am curious about insurance specific to photographers. I got a price quote from Hill and Usher out of Phoenix, and am curious what other people do and how much they pay (per year). Thanks in advance!

www.focalpointphoto.smugmug.com
Mike
Canon 2 x 5D, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8IS, 50 f1.4, 580EXII, 2 x 550EX, CP-E4

Comments

• FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Mulder32 wrote:
    I'm just starting out and am curious about insurance specific to photographers. I got a price quote from Hill and Usher out of Phoenix, and am curious what other people do and how much they pay (per year). Thanks in advance!

This seems to come up here on dgrin pretty reguarly. Search is your friend, here are a few links to previous threads where this has been discussed:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=81544
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=75188
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=73550
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=56323

I don't have anything to add to my own comments in the first thread I've linked to, so I'll let those links stand on their own...
    --Travis
  • Jeremy44Jeremy44 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 16, 2010
    You need an insurance policy that will cover your equipment for theft, damage or other loss. An insurance agent will generally need each item you want insured listed individually with make, model, serial number and value. This list will need to be maintained as you acquire and sell your equipment. Generally, insurance companies charge a rate of $.$$/$1,000 of coverage. Be sure to check that the coverage you are getting is "replacement" coverage. You need to discuss where and how the equipment will be used including any for-profit use.
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    I ended up with Hill and Usher after calling around. Other places don't seem to focus on photography as much.

H&U want a list of everything. Which is a good idea to have even without insurance. I added the little stuff to my list as well because in the end the little stuff adds up a lot.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    I ended up with Hill and Usher after calling around. Other places don't seem to focus on photography as much.

H&U want a list of everything. Which is a good idea to have even without insurance. I added the little stuff to my list as well because in the end the little stuff adds up a lot.
    I use Hill and Usher too. I was impressed with their knowledge of the photo industry. The policy covers all the high points including errors and omissions which you really need if you do weddings and events.
  • SaraSmileSaraSmile Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 9, 2010
    I wonder if they can give me a package deal?

I was so depressed about my renewal notice from my regular broker that I went on line for an insurance quote and sure enough, I'm getting hosed!

I'm tempted to print off a bunch of the lower prices and ask my broker about the high prices, but they don't have any good plans to cover my gear also.. and I am getting to the panic stage where I really worry about someone swiping all my toys. :(

Thanks for the link, I'll go look it over and see what I can get. ;)
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Mulder32 wrote:

You want H & U. It's not as costly as replacing all your gear if it got stolen, dropped, tripped over, etc.... :)

FWIW.... H & U is just the agent, Hartford Insurance is the actual insurer. There is another agent out there that I know of, but I just can't think of their name right now. It doesn't really matter, because they are also an agent for Hartford, so the cost would be exactly the same.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    You want H & U. It's not as costly as replacing all your gear if it got stolen, dropped, tripped over, etc.... :)

FWIW.... H & U is just the agent, Hartford Insurance is the actual insurer. There is another agent out there that I know of, but I just can't think of their name right now. It doesn't really matter, because they are also an agent for Hartford, so the cost would be exactly the same.

I think that depends on which state you are in... the Alaska insurer for Hill and Usher is Zurich.
  • pokerpoker Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    Anyone here have liability insurance in case you trip and destroy the wedding cake? Or $500k insurance so you can get shooting permits in parts of the city?
    I like photos especially ones shot by Canons. I'm just another fanboy :ivar
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    poker wrote:
    Anyone here have liability insurance in case you trip and destroy the wedding cake? Or $500k insurance so you can get shooting permits in parts of the city?

Yeah. I bought a policy last year that the city required when I said I wanted to sell my photos like a street vendor. they required $1m Liability in case someone tripped over me!rolleyes1.gif

Feels like this state just HATES photographers~
    tom wise
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    poker wrote:

Depending on what you get from H & U or Marsh GRoup (they are the Insurer thru PPA) .....some policies can come with liabilty included.......they both have various policies to offer.......

You can get 1 time or short time liabilty (in the 1m range) from different insurers also.......the easiest way to find who to talk to in your area is to find and event promoter and see who they use for concerts and the smaller shows.......I do not remember who we told prospective clients to go to but they were getting 1m of insurance for under $500 for a show running 7 days....that included set up and strike....so it was 7 days inclusive................................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    poker wrote:

Just call H&U they have it all. Join PPA and also get the Indemnity Trust.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures