JPG color mismatch PS/IE

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited March 23, 2004 in Technique
So I just recently noticed that when I save my images as a jpg and post them to my website (NOT doing "save for web") they look different in my browser than they do in Photoshop - IE and PS CS, specifically. For example:

http://www-unix.ecs.umass.edu/~ermiller/photos/2004-02/2004-02-13.jpg

Save that one locally, then open it up in PS, put the two windows side by side, and tell me if you see if a difference... it's subtle, but there.

Is it a PS thing? Maybe color settings? My working space is set to Adobe RGB.
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    You're right! It's a pretty noticable difference. After switching to sRGB (Image > Mode > Assign Proflie) the PS copy matched the copy in Firebird. So I guess I'm going to have to read up on color spaces ne_nau.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 23, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    You're right! It's a pretty noticable difference. After switching to sRGB (Image > Mode > Assign Proflie) the PS copy matched the copy in Firebird. So I guess I'm going to have to read up on color spaces ne_nau.gif
    Web browsers are configured sRGB are they not? Photoshop version later than 5, I believe, allow you to specify your color space sRGB, Adobe RGB, Colorsync for Apple, etc - Is this responsible for the differences that yoiu notice?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    So I just recently noticed that when I save my images as a jpg and post them to my website (NOT doing "save for web") they look different in my browser than they do in Photoshop - IE and PS CS, specifically. For example:

http://www-unix.ecs.umass.edu/~ermiller/photos/2004-02/2004-02-13.jpg

Save that one locally, then open it up in PS, put the two windows side by side, and tell me if you see if a difference... it's subtle, but there.

Is it a PS thing? Maybe color settings? My working space is set to Adobe RGB.
    Web browser color space is typically SRGB not adobe, you need to switch the color space when saving an image destined for the web. If you do a "Save for web" then it does that for you.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie