Options

just calibrated...

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited February 7, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
This evening, I used my new eye-one display 2 calibrator to calibrate my relatively new, high quality NEC monitor and my old, cheap Princeton monitor. I didn't really feel like my new monitor needed much adjustment, but I wanted to go through the official process. I hoped my old monitor would benefit from the process as well, although I didn't have much hope for huge improvements.

Well...the old monitor was hugely improved, and the new monitor has changed slighty, but I'm not thinking for the better. :scratch The old monitor got rid of the extrememly blue color cast and appears to have nice neutral grays now. The new monitor seems slightly more saturated, especially in the reds.

Is there anything else I can do to fine tune this, other than compare to prints? I ended up with 6500k, 2.2 gamma and 117 luminance.
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    This evening, I used my new eye-one display 2 calibrator to calibrate my relatively new, high quality NEC monitor and my old, cheap Princeton monitor. I didn't really feel like my new monitor needed much adjustment, but I wanted to go through the official process. I hoped my old monitor would benefit from the process as well, although I didn't have much hope for huge improvements.

Well...the old monitor was hugely improved, and the new monitor has changed slighty, but I'm not thinking for the better. headscratch.gif The old monitor got rid of the extrememly blue color cast and appears to have nice neutral grays now. The new monitor seems slightly more saturated, especially in the reds.

Is there anything else I can do to fine tune this, other than compare to prints? I ended up with 6500k, 2.2 gamma and 117 luminance.
    I'd go with 5000K, 2.2gamma and whatever luminance you want.. I'm at around 100 on my laptop display, but, YMMV. The 5000K will make a difference though. ALSO, the display 2 is very sensitive to outside light.... Calibrate in a DARK room.

I upgraded to the i1XT, so I have the i1Pro device. IMHO, the Display 2 gets pretty close to the i1Pro (which is a good thing), so if it looks really off, I'd just recalibrate.

I found that once I got past the initial shock of the very warm white, 5000K is way more pleasing to the eyes, and it REALLY helps bring out the detail, etc.. BTW, don't use the "easy" calibration.. Use the Advanced. And, make sure you get the color, brightness and contrast on the LCD correct (it'll help the display 2 calibrate better). ALSO, do **NOT** push the Display2 into the screen.. Just place it LIGHTLY on the monitor (that's why you do it in a dark room). The act of pushing can cause a color distortion on LCD.

BTW, if you want your printer(s) done, let me know.. I need to pay off some of the excessive amount of money I paid for the i1XT rolleyes1.gif (Well worth it though.. I'm LOVING it!!!) - I do printer calibration CHEAP! mwink.gif

David