250138300-M.jpg

250132710-M.jpg

250937905-M.jpg

last one was processed a bit... now I'm fired up about ordering a ab800
BTW... she's not a boy...lol

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    What a cutie! And, how could anyone think your baby was anything other than a girl?

Need a little more light in the first shot and lift her chin a touch in the last one.
  • neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    What a cutie! And, how could anyone think your baby was anything other than a girl?

Need a little more light in the first shot and lift her chin a touch in the last one.

thanks, i'm still messing with it, but I can tell that I'm going to need more light than that.... thats why I'm thinking about the AB800...

FYI- she kinda looks like a boy in the black shirt....lol
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Actually you don't
    neastguy wrote:
    thanks, i'm still messing with it, but I can tell that I'm going to need more light than that.... thats why I'm thinking about the AB800...

FYI- she kinda looks like a boy in the black shirt....lol

You don't need an AB800 to light up the little one....simply a flash on camera, bouncing the light will produce wonderfully exposed shots....and...you can model your light. Knowing how is the trick. Get out of green mode and into Manual mode.....set your ISO to 400, then 800 (experiment) aperature to say f/6.3, shutter speed to say 1/80th then put your flash in TTL, aim the head of the flash to the side or behind you (bounce it is the idea). Ride the flash exposure +1/3, -1/3, etc. as necessary.

Here's an example:

ISO 800, f/6.3, 1/100 sec., ETTL

250462319-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited February 5, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    You don't need an AB800 to light up the little one....simply a flash on camera, bouncing the light will produce wonderfully exposed shots....and...you can model your light. Knowing how is the trick. Get out of green mode and into Manual mode.....set your ISO to 400, then 800 (experiment) aperature to say f/6.3, shutter speed to say 1/80th then put your flash in TTL, aim the head of the flash to the side or behind you (bounce it is the idea). Ride the flash exposure +1/3, -1/3, etc. as necessary.

Here's an example:

ISO 800, f/6.3, 1/100 sec., ETTL

250462319-L.jpg

The dark around the edges is post processing BTW
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    The dark around the edges is post processing BTW

great shot... I'll try those settings.. I take it the ttl is set on the camera not the flash... my sb400 is basically one settingheadscratch.gif
    edited February 5, 2008
    Yes
    neastguy wrote:
    great shot... I'll try those settings.. I take it the ttl is set on the camera not the flash... my sb400 is basically one settingheadscratch.gif

I must have mis-understood at first....you were trying to use the AB400? No need again anyway......Get a good flash for your camera..the ETTL is on the flash setting (your camera may allow you to set that in it's menu).
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif with Swartzy - you don't need AB800 light(s) for this sort of light. Your flash will do the job nicely. It's simply a matter of learning some lighting technique.

Flip that flash up to point at the ceiling. Attach a Better Bounce Card (link it literally costs only pennies to make) apply some Flash Exposure Compensation and you're in business.