You get what you pay for (C&C welcome)

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited February 5, 2008 in People
I hear it all the time, "Why should I hire a professional photographer to make my portrait. They're so expensive!" I also, frequently encounter people who, for one reason or another, think (or at least say they think) they can't take a beautiful photograph.

A friend of mine is one such lady. I've been "after her" for the better part of a year to allow me to photograph her portrait, even on a time for prints basis. To say she was reluctant is to put it mildly.

Finally, I had my opportunity to photograph this beautiful lady.

250858648-L.jpg

Why was she under the impression she did not photograph well? In talking to her, I soon discovered she had not been provided with an opportunity to be photographed by a professional photographer (I like to flatter myself thinking I barely qualify). Her experience was limited to resulted provided by friends and family and by the large chain stores that provide a portrait studio experience.

I guess, it's true, you get what you pay for.

C&C welcome.

See more of this discussion at my blog.

Comments

• TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Scott,

First of all, she is lovely, and I hope you tell her I said that. I, too, frequently encounter people (almost always, though not exclusively, women) who hate their photo taken and think photos are not flattering. Your model's a stunner.

As to the photo, the exposure is spot-on, the lighting really balanced and accurate. The light on her hair is really nice (don't know the tech term). Great expression on her face--very natural and appealing.

For my taste (and it's only that) this photo is cropped to tight. I'd like to see it with you back a foot or two. I also would like to see the exposure toned down a notch. It seems a bit "hot," though it's not overexposed by any means.

It's a really successful image of a beautiful woman. Nice job.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Scott
    Excellent. I agree a bit more room would allow the portrait to breath but it still is wonderful. I like the side/hair light and the exposure is dead on. BTW, (and it's simply my own opinion)..this is without a doubt one of your finer works! thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Tommyboy wrote:
    Scott,

First of all, she is lovely, and I hope you tell her I said that. I, too, frequently encounter people (almost always, though not exclusively, women) who hate their photo taken and think photos are not flattering. Your model's a stunner.
    And, that's why I told her, "When I was processing these, I discovered all over again why it is that your husband married you!"
    Tommyboy wrote:
    As to the photo, the exposure is spot-on, the lighting really balanced and accurate. The light on her hair is really nice (don't know the tech term). Great expression on her face--very natural and appealing.

For my taste (and it's only that) this photo is cropped to tight. I'd like to see it with you back a foot or two. I also would like to see the exposure toned down a notch. It seems a bit "hot," though it's not overexposed by any means.

It's a really successful image of a beautiful woman. Nice job.
    Thank you for the very kind words.

I tend to like the tighter crop, but I know that's not to everyone's taste. Thats' why I usually provide a suggested crop (see above) and one that is not cropped quite so tight
    250617741-M.jpg
    edited February 5, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    BTW, (and it's simply my own opinion)..this is without a doubt one of your finer works! thumb.gif
    Ahhh, shucks, t'wern't nuthin'.

Thanks!
  • rwdfresnorwdfresno Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    The lighting looks excellent, and I preffer the tight crop. She is a beauty and the camera seems to love her.
    Ryan Davis
    my flickr
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Good job Scott. I think the lighting and exposure look great....and I am glad that you chose NOT to process out all of her character. The "soft focus" or skin smoothing that is so popular (yes I do it in small doses) gets overdone so often.....and tends to leave people looking plastic like those claymation cartoons. There is a fine line somewhere between having someone look their best, and having them look like something/someone else entirely.......I am glad to see you haven't crossed that line. You are right, she is beautiful with or without anything that is possible in photoshop!!

Good Job...and keep up the excellent work!!
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Now the really important question, for the rest don't matter.

How did your friend like her portrait?

Sam
    edited February 5, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Good job Scott. I think the lighting and exposure look great....and I am glad that you chose NOT to process out all of her character. The "soft focus" or skin smoothing that is so popular (yes I do it in small doses) gets overdone so often.....and tends to leave people looking plastic like those claymation cartoons. There is a fine line somewhere between having someone look their best, and having them look like something/someone else entirely.......I am glad to see you haven't crossed that line. You are right, she is beautiful with or without anything that is possible in photoshop!!

Good Job...and keep up the excellent work!!

I did a little skin smoothing and I helped with a couple of skin "flaws" but I have what I have been told is a "traditional Chinese" outlook on aging - people and wine only get better with time and I like to leave some of that there. Otherwise, the client and their friends will look at that image and wonder who it is they are looking at. :D
    Sam wrote:
    Now the really important question, for the rest don't matter.

How did your friend like her portrait?

Sam
    You're right. It's all fluff unless the client likes it. She's told me that this is probably the best portrait that's ever been done of her. She's talked about buying a couple of 8x10 (one for her husband for V-Day as they are geographically dislocated right now) and the rest for a couple of family members.
  • jdfaithjdfaith Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Beautiful subject and great shot. The suggested crop is my cup of tea, too.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Wow. Scott, you hit a homer with this one. Normally I prefer short-lit faces, but the broad lighting on this is very flattering. Beautiful hair light(s?). I personally wish she had a bit of eye shadow on, but that's her business. I'm interested in the answer to Sam's question, but I have to say that if she's not bubbling-over happy with this, then she has self-esteem issues that no photo will ever address.

edit: Whoops. I see you answered Sam while I was composing. Whew. I'm glad she's not crazy. Is she a serviceman's wife?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited February 5, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Wow. Scott, you hit a homer with this one. Normally I prefer short-lit faces, but the broad lighting on this is very flattering. Beautiful hair light(s?). I personally wish she had a bit of eye shadow on, but that's her business. I'm interested in the answer to Sam's question, but I have to say that if she's not bubbling-over happy with this, then she has self-esteem issues that no photo will ever address.

edit: Whoops. I see you answered Sam while I was composing. Whew. I'm glad she's not crazy. Is she a serviceman's wife?
    No self-esteem issues here. She's smart, out-going, fun, bubbly, incredibly self-motivated! Oh, and did I mention she's smart? So, it's not that she doesn't think she's attractive - just not run into some who has been able to capture her beauty.

She and her DH are in the process of moving. He moved for a much better job and she's going to follow as soon as house here is sold.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Beautifully done, Scott! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Very well done photo.
    Lighting is very nice.
    I really like the tight crop and the way her hair is done in this shot.
    Very flattering...I bet she loves it!
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Lovely shot. I'm a tight crop guy myself and I think it looks better of the two.
    Hope you use this shot to convince others.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    <snip>
    She's talked about buying a couple of 8x10 (one for her husband for V-Day as they are geographically dislocated right now) and the rest for a couple of family members.</snip>

She has a husband :cry:cry:cry:cry

Seriously, a very nice shot, personally I prefer the first picture, well done Scott

Tim
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Very nice shots of a beautiful lady Scott. You did very well and she should be happy with the shot.
    I'm one of those people who don't like to be photographed, you'll hardly see my on any family photos Laughing.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • photojphotoj Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Great job!
    Scott,
    Great job :ivar :ivar as always. Wish I was half as good as you are. Maybe one day.

Photoj
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
    edited February 5, 2008
    photoj wrote:
    Scott,
    Great job :ivar :ivar as always. Wish I was half as good as you are. Maybe one day.

Photoj
    I just wish I were half as good as some people seem to think I am :D