Whatcha think??

NHphotosNHphotos Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited February 5, 2008 in People
new to the game and interested in your thoughts! i feel like it could be missing something, but not sure what. Any books or websites that would be helpful for an amature and for portrait photography?

Comments

• HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    NHphotos wrote:
    new to the game and interested in your thoughts! i feel like it could be missing something, but not sure what. Any books or websites that would be helpful for an amature and for portrait photography?

My initial reaction is that the image is a bit soft.
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • NHphotosNHphotos Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Hinson wrote:
    My initial reaction is that the image is a bit soft.

What would correct that?
  • HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    NHphotos wrote:
    What would correct that?

That would depend on what caused it. In this case, it appears to be the post processing. Is the original sharp? If so, then something you did during the post processing was a bit too much (in my opinion). Can you post the original?
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Needs more contrast so that cute face is not blended in with the background.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    NHphotos wrote:
    Welcome to the game!

You've found one of the best places for help, whether you be professional or amateur.
    edited February 5, 2008
    Hinson wrote:
    That would depend on what caused it. In this case, it appears to be the post processing. Is the original sharp? If so, then something you did during the post processing was a bit too much (in my opinion). Can you post the original?

here's the original. i'm working on it to as we speak. Thanks for your help!!
    edited February 5, 2008
    NHphotos wrote:
    here's the original. i'm working on it to as we speak. Thanks for your help!!

latest revision. didn't use soft focus. comments??
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    I really like that last BW conversion ..... much better contrast. If anything, I think the shirt distracts a bit too much being all that white. But it's a good capture! Welcome to the board wave.gif
  • fayefaye Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    What an adorable face! I love the pose and the contrast in the second b&w is much better - shows off those eyes and gorgeous hair! clap.gif
    Faye
    :ivar

blog ~ Galleries ~ Facebook
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    The second version is much better.
    If you select a nice undistracting background for the portraits, they will not compete with your subject for the viewers attention.
    In my opinion this is a nice photo of the cute little girl with a poor background.
    Nice effort!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Your second conversion does look better. While the background may not be ideal, I think you did a good job of getting it out of focus. In addition to being out of focus, by using a BW treatment the different colors are less distracting. So....the BG here as you treated the photograph is no huge deal.

MY rule of thumb with portrait backgrounds....
    1- Nothing man made in the BG.....or
    2- Very nice/interesting archetecture filling BG.....or
    3- Use a shallow depth of focus to obliterate the BG

Of course I break even my own rules from time to time:D

Very nice capture and welcome to DGRIN!!wings.gif