40D or 1DMK 2 or 3 for sports?

frephofrepho Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 5, 2008 in Cameras
Is 1 series worth the price difference?:dunno

Comments

• PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    is the sky blue? ne_nau.gif

lol. it depends, are you going to make a living out of shooting sports?

ps: this is the wrong sub-forum for this.
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 5, 2008
    This is a discussion question... being moved to Gear > Cameras thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    frepho wrote:
    Is 1 series worth the price difference?ne_nau.gif

What are you shooting?? Who are you shooting it for?? Are you going to be getting paid for this?? Have you shot sports before?? Do you have the long lens to shoot the sports with??

And I'll say experience is 1000x more vauable then the fastest AF camera out there. Pros have been shooting with MF gear for years and got the shot from knowing the sport and having great technique. So I say work on that before you go crazy in trying to figure out which body is best for sports.

:)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 5, 2008
    Frepho,

Welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I'm a little biased but I have to say "yes", the Canon 1D MKII/MKIIN/MKIII are fantastic for sports and especially night time sports where the extra sensitivity of the 1D MK series autofocus really makes a tremendous difference. (The Nikon D2/D3 series likewise has pretty amazing autofocus in low light.)

There is literally a different type of autofocus in these cameras called "Area SIR Phase Detection" that provides both speed and accuracy over the standard SIR Phase Detection and Cross Type SIR Phase Detection that most consumer and prosumer dSLRs use.

To get the maximum benefit you will also need extremely fast focusing lenses.

Good luck,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 5, 2008
    BTW, the football images in this gallery were mostly shot with the 1D MKII (starting with the Oct 7, 2006 game):

http://ziggy53.smugmug.com/School/232835

Previously I was using a Canon XT/350D. The difference in responsiveness between those two models is staggering.

I now have the Canon 40D and the AF is really nice, but I will not be selling my 1D MKII anytime soon.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums