50mm challenge.

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited February 8, 2008 in Holy Macro
Another forum has a challenge for the month to submit an image using only the 50mm lens.

I used today's flower macro shot for it.

Exposure was 0.6sec @ f/6.3 at ISO 100 on the Canon 50mm F/1.8 lens.

The original image was more upright so I used a crop and rotated the whole thing to bring the leaves into a leading line up to the flower head. I had spent a good few minutes ensuring the leaves were correctly aligned, and that the flower stem was showing sufficiently within the enclosed leaves. The photo was a studio set-up, with the tulip one of a bunch, but isolated in a small vase, and with a sheet of blue art paper behind for the background. I then added a double drop-shadow in PS. File converted from RAW, AWB in camera, but used the WB tool in LR to bring the true colours back.

bluecrop50mmnamed.jpg

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Paul Iddon wrote:
    Another forum has a challenge for the month to submit an image using only the 50mm lens.

The original image was more upright so I used a crop and rotated the whole thing to bring the leaves into a leading line up to the flower head. I had spent a good few minutes ensuring the leaves were correctly aligned, and that the flower stem was showing sufficiently within the enclosed leaves. The photo was a studio set-up, with the tulip one of a bunch, but isolated in a small vase, and with a sheet of blue art paper behind for the background. I then added a double drop-shadow in PS. File converted from RAW, AWB in camera, but used the WB tool in LR to bring the true colours back.

I like this shot Paul, but it looks a bit flat, the flower doesn't pop.
    The light looks great, as does your background.
    Sounds like you have a nice setup for this type of photography thumb.gif

Very pretty Tulip, thanks for sharing .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Paul Iddon wrote:

First class Paul your photos are always great. I am getting my MP-E on the 24th of this month so I will see how it performs with the 400D and my recent 40D
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    I have to agree with Skippy. It's a bit flat. The composition is nice, and you obviously put a lot of thought and work into it, but as presented, it doesn't evoke any excitement for me. I have to think there's more in the data than you're showing us.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    I like it but find the BG colour a bit overpowering ?

brian V.
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Thanks for all of the comments folks.

I have the background in 3 or 4 different colours Brian, if you want an alternative option, let me know..

Paul.

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Paul Iddon wrote:
    Thanks for all of the comments folks.

I have the background in 3 or 4 different colours Brian, if you want an alternative option, let me know..

Paul.

Thanks Paul but only you know what BG looks best from your POV - I just found the blue a bit distractingly bright.
    I shouldn't really comment on flower shots with the difficulty I have doing them :)

Brian V.
  • matasamatasa Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    I hope you don’t mind me posting in your thread
    Canon 50mm F/1.2 lens

picture048dy6.jpg
    I can resist everything except temptation
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Of course not.

Nice colours and bokeh, but the background is a tiny bit noticeable.

Paul.

• matasamatasa Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Thanks Paul :)
    I can resist everything except temptation