Options

In the sugar shack

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited March 21, 2005 in Holy Macro
The sap is running and we're making grade A medium at Lands Sake in Weston, MA.

17881117-L.jpg

17881271-L.jpg

17881395-L.jpg

17881501-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    Rutt,

You threw me for a loop, I got all excited when I saw your post title. My wife and I stayed in a cute little cabin in the mountains called the Sugar Shack. I thought you had maybe stayed there also and was posting pictures. :D

Very nice set.thumb.gif Is this where you work?

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2005
    Rutt,
    Is this where you work?
    No, Land's Sake is a community sponsered organization in Weston that has an organic farm, the sugar shack, and responsibility for some open space. My daughter volunteers there sometimes and I buy overpriced great organic vegatables there. I don't think anyone actually works there as a day job; well maybe there is one person. It's a very nice thing to have this close to Boston (20 minutes to downtown.)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 20, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    The sap is running and we're making grade A medium at Lands Sake in Weston, MA.

17881117-L.jpg

I love how you have two or three different color of light sources (daylight, tungsten, flourescent) and they all look right and seem balanced. Shows how great digital can be when it is done right. Nice series of images, rutt.
    thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    good eye
    how did you do that rutt ?? i shot in a gym with ??? lighting and never got the color right Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    Yeah thats a tricky situation there, very well handled. Also interesting to see what some get up to. Well documented this small series.

Danny.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    how did you do that rutt ?? i shot in a gym with ??? lighting and never got the color right Jeff
    That's like a tag line from a straight man. I've posted so many times about this I feel like a broken record. Dan Margulis is my color correction guru and I am his disciple. His site is here.

In this particular case, I used the eye dropper to white balance on the white board during raw conversion. That's a little risky because it's under the flourescent light and might easily have been too green. But in this case, the board was catching all three light sources in about the right ratios. Also at the time of conversion, I decreased both the shadow and exposure to make sure that no detail was blown on either end. I find it much better to have the detail after conversion and deal with getting the contrast right via curves then.

Once the conversion was made, I used NeatImage because this was shot at 1000 ISO. I used LAB curves to tweak the contrast, get the black points really black, make sure the board and the steam were really neutral, make a white point, make sure the woman's flesh was a plausable color, and make the contrast curve steep where I wanted detail to show most. In this case, that meant the shadows. Finally I used FM sharpening. So it was sort of a lot of steps, but it's like riding a bicycle, once you get used to it, it comes easily without too much thought. (usually)

If you don't have Dan's book, buy it. Almost nobody can read it all at once or absorb everything he says immediately. Typically it takes years. But you can learn a lot right away and with a little work you'll be able to make much better photographs. After that, you can keep learning from this book (and Dan's column) over a lifetime.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I love how you have two or three different color of light sources (daylight, tungsten, flourescent) and they all look right and seem balanced. Shows how great digital can be when it is done right. Nice series of images, rutt.
    thumb.gif
    Jim, I'm so glad you picked this particular one out. I agonized over whether or not to crop left hand side, but in the end I like the composition and the fact that I got the three light sources all to be balanced.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 21, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Jim, I'm so glad you picked this particular one out. I agonized over whether or not to crop left hand side, but in the end I like the composition and the fact that I got the three light sources all to be balanced.
    The only suggestion I would make would be to overlay blend and darken the bright foreground woodpile. Cropping the left border might help, but then you might have to crop more on the right also - I like it the way it is.thumb.gif

I just wanted to point out to the other readers the three different light sources that you handled so well as to make their significance disappear. Nice job on a potentially challenging shot. Good shadow detail retained also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    The only suggestion I would make would be to overlay blend and darken the bright foreground woodpile. Cropping the left border might help, but then you might have to crop more on the right also - I like it the way it is.thumb.gif

I just wanted to point out to the other readers the three different light sources that you handled so well as to make their significance disappear. Nice job on a potentially challenging shot. Good shadow detail retained also.
    It's a good suggestion to do something with the woodpile. What you are seeing is natural light. This was shot in from outside through the window of the shack. The natural light through the window was a lot brighter than the artificial light inside. I'll put this in my in queue.
    If not now, when?