Options

macro lens for rebel xt?

FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
edited February 9, 2008 in Holy Macro
I've been interested in trying out some lenses for macro with my REBEL XT, any suggestions. Price is a concern, but I don't need it right away so can save up.
~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
my real job
looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11

Comments

• Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    i use the canon 100MM macro and the sigma 50MM macro both are great and both are waaay sharp.. the 50MM sigma is unde $300.00!

Oh, i use them with my 30D and i used the 100mm maco when I had my XT, it was great!!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2008
    thank you!!!
    ~Shannon~

my real job
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2008
    I have this lens, do think it will suffice ?

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD 1:2 Auto Focus Macro Zoom
    ~Shannon~

my real job
  • Options
    SCOTTinNJSCOTTinNJ Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 6, 2008
    If budget is a concern, you could also use extension tubes with one of your existing lenses. I have the kenko tubes and find them to be more than servicable, though I've never tried a true macro lens so don't have a real ability to compare first hand.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Well, the Tamron 70:300 is half life size (1:2 magnification ratio).
    This basicaly means that at 300mm, at the minimum focuss distance, an object will cast an image half it's size on the sensor. A true macro lens is at least 1:1, meaing life size magnification. This means that a 1cm object will cast a 1cm image on the sensor with a true macro lens at the min. focus distance.

Having said all that the tamron should serve you find for very close focusing. It's optics may not be as good as a true macro prime lens. Of course it's much more expensive as well.

If you want a true macro at the lowest price, Sigma 50mm is the cheapest at about $250 online. More common focal length is about 100mm but they are more expensive. Longer focal lengths will give you 1:1 mag. at a longer distance from the subject and hence may be good for bugs and live critters that may not like you almost touching them with the lens to get a 1:1 magnification.

I'd first explore the macro capabiilities of the Tamron you already have and if you find that it's not serving your macro needs, move up to a real macro lens then.
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Adding to the above comments- I actually found my sigma 70-300mm lens very difficult to use for macro as you are using the 300mm end of the lens- it's often very hard to find the subject let alone keep it in focus.
    Interestingly the 70-300 performs much better at macro with a set of Kenko ext tubes and used at it's 70mm end, you can then get 1:1 macro shots.

brian V.
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    buying the Kenko tubes is only a little less than the sigma 500 Macro... and the 50MM is a true macro lens and being only 50MM is very easy to shoot hand held and is great for portrait work as well.
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Ummm, TRUE macros only come as primes, correct?

I have the Canon 70-300 that is supposedly macro at 300, and it's not as good as my Canon 100mm macro.
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Flutist wrote:
    I've been interested in trying out some lenses for macro with my REBEL XT, any suggestions. Price is a concern, but I don't need it right away so can save up.

Hi Shannon!

Canon makes a really good 50mm f/2.5 macro. It's an older lens, doesn't have a USM (ultra-sonic motor) but it's tack sharp and will give you 1/2 life-size images. These are generally available used and on ebay. They're quite affordable new.

You might also want to look at what Sigma and Tokina have to offer.

I like the 100mm focal length best, but that does add some expense.

Good luck!
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Flutist wrote:

Save up and get what you want nod.gif
    The Canon 100mm MACRO is an awesome piece of glass.
    It is not just for Macro, and it's extremely sharp thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    VivaxVivax Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    I agree with a couple of the posts here about the sigma 50mm. Its a great lens ouch sharp and useful for other types of shot apart from macro and suited my modest budget as a beginner (Its hardly off my cam!) but on the down side if you are into insects you have to be mightyly stealthful, because you have to get irritatingly close for a 1:1 shot.
  • Options
    JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    I have the 100mm, and I just love it. I do use it for macros, Just put up a thread some bugs from last august, took all of them with this lens. I also use it for other type shots. Oh, I have the rebel xti, and the use of a 20d. It is great on both.

Jill
    Jill
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    60mmF2.8
    I am using the 100mm F2.8 Canon macro lens. I like it.

My friend bought the 60 mm for his 350D (Rebel XT), it works well. I tried it on my 300D (rebel), it produces the same manification as the 100 mm on 5D. It is a dedicated marco lens for APS-C, pretty fast and clear. But it is not compatible to full frame dSLR.

If you want to stay on the APS-C sensor, it is good to buy the 60 mm marco. But if you have intention to upgrade in future, either the 50 mm or 100 mm should be considered.

What I feel is that the marco lens is not the first one or two lens to buy. Most people start with landscape and portrait then move on to marco. I tried the marco but found it a bit boring and only do it at night when my family is sleeping or I am forced to stay home when the weather is too bad for venture out.

If you really keen on marco, you may try the extension tube, add on marco lens like the 500 or 250 or even reverse lens. I did some reversed lens and quite fun.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/