New imager technology

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
edited February 9, 2008 in Cameras
Kodak KAC-05020 1.4 micron Image Sensor

While there are no cameras based on this chip currently in development, this technology has the promise of revolutionizing the camera industry.

The chip is from Kodak and is designed for very small applications like cell phone cameras. The concept has ramifications far beyond the small camera market.

Kodak has developed a method of reading photo sites (pixels) not by counting the photons hitting each site, but by doing the opposite and counting the "holes" instead. This has the impact of reducing "hot" noise, (noise which simulates random image signal), and allows greatly reduced photo site sizes.

They have also used an RGBW sensor pattern (Red, Green, Blue and White/Clear) which allows the white/clear sites, which are unfiltered, to be much more sensitive, similar to the "rods" in human vision.

The clear sites are statistically factored into the Bayer pattern interpolation to again increase overall apparent sensitivity.

Kodak is claiming an overall increase in sensitivity of 1 to 2 stops, with no apparent increase in noise.

If true, these new techniques, based on CMOS fabrication, will allow much greater pixel densities with no apparent increase in signal to noise ratios.

I predict we could see 36 MPixel full-frame imagers with the same noise factor as current 22-24 MPixel imagers. Likewise 16 MPix crop 1.5x/1.6x imagers will also be possible with no more noise than current 10 MPix imagers.

More information here:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2709&pq-locale=en_GB&gpcid=0900688a80884f89&ignoreLocale=true
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    I hope this technology delivers. I would just be happy with effective ISO 400-800 on a small point and shoot camera though I'm sure action shooters must be looking forward to very effective ISO 12800 on APS-C DSLRs.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Ziggy,
    very interesting, thanks for the link!thumb.gif
    I guess Kodak still has some R&D juice left lol3.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Interesting new ideas. It does seem they are still partly fixated on cramming ever more pixels into ever smaller chips. Sigh. How about more dynamic range?
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    How about a teenie-tiny high res sensor for bodacious DOF for macro shooting!!! I'm constantly amazed at the DOF I get from p&s cameras set on super-macro in comparison to my SLRs. The diff is the sensor size. There's a whole market segment for someone to exploit.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    It does seem they are still partly fixated on cramming ever more pixels into ever smaller chips. Sigh. How about more dynamic range?
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 8, 2008
    Interesting new ideas. It does seem they are still partly fixated on cramming ever more pixels into ever smaller chips. Sigh. How about more dynamic range?

Potentially this physical design could provide more dynamic range. Since the non-filtered photo sites would be more sensitive than the RGB filtered sites, the resulting interpolation would provide up to 2 more stops of dynamic range, at the expense of color resolution, to which we humans are less sensitive.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    I noted that, which is why I put the "partly" wriggle room in my comment. :D Hopefully it does extend the DR, we'll just have to wait and see,