A Firefox Bug affecting SmugMug???

PAVPAV Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited February 6, 2008 in SmugMug Support
This is actually a Firefox bug and not a SmugMug bug, but it affects my SmugMug site. Weird!!!~
Safari works just fine with this. IE on the PC works fine too.
On My site Firefox does not display all of the titles I have assigned to the categories on my opening TOC. (3rd Box) It shows most of them, but omits some. :scratch Those omissions are constant. Always the same categories.
I have tried rewriting the descriptions, but to no avail. Clearing the Firefox Cache didn't change anything.
This is unique to Firefox, and not only my Mac. My daughter has the same titles missing on her MacBook with Firefox at her home.
Any thoughts on why Firefox omits some of the titles, and displays the rest of them?
Is Firefox Mad at SmugMug?:rolleyes

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    It's not a SmugMug bug, it's a FF quirk, I guess. It can't handle

Motorcycles---EuroSportCycle.com___Event Pictures

as a title. But

Motorcycles - EuroSportCycle.com - Event Pictures

will be fine (the browser needs the spaces to make a break. FWIW IE will show the same.

So, adjust the gallery titles and all will be fine thumb.gif
  • PAVPAV Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:

as a title. But

will be fine (the browser needs the spaces to make a break. FWIW IE will show the same.

Thanks Andy. That seems to work. I tried adding some various breaks to some of those earlier, but it didn't seem to work then.
    I made more breaks this time.
    IE handled it ok on my wife's computer, only FF griped.
    FF gripes with some other sites I visit too. On one newspaper site it superimposes byline text on top of other text. Always near the bottom of the page. FF is Foxy!wings.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:

as a title. But

Browsers have different behavior when a piece of text won't fit into the space that it's supposed to go into. Some show it anyway, letting it spill beyond the boundaries of the box it's supposed to be in. Some don't show it at all. I don't know which is technically correct (if the css specs even say), but I had this exact same problem in this thread a long time ago.

At the time, I was unable to change the category name because I had already sent out a link to the category (the URL is related to the category name), so I had to find a more complicated work-around. My work-around was also to change the dashes to spaces.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • PAVPAV Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Browsers have different behavior when a piece of text won't fit into the space that it's supposed to go into. Some show it anyway, letting it spill beyond the boundaries of the box it's supposed to be in. Some don't show it at all. I don't know which is technically correct (if the css specs even say), but I had this exact same problem in this thread a long time ago.

At the time, I was unable to change the category name because I had already sent out a link to the category (the URL is related to the category name), so I had to find a more complicated work-around. My work-around was also to change the dashes to spaces.
    Yeah j. That's the way mine WAS. :D
    I got it fixed now. Fortunately I am not locked into any links here yet. I will be one of these days, so better to get it right now and make all of the browsers happy!