My first published college bball shots

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited February 13, 2008 in Sports
The Torch, Valparaiso University's newspaper, published two of my pics recently from the Valpo v. Loyola game that was on 1/28/2008...

The first got a nice huge spread on the back cover of the paper that came out last Friday... printed in color:
247722096-L.jpg

The second photo they published went into their special edition, Hoops Insider, which was handed out to the fans that came to see Valpo play Butler live on ESPN2 2/5/2008 (will post Butler photos later btw)... it had a nice rather large print inside the Hoops Insider. Was printed in b&w:
247722762-L.jpg

I will try and take pics of the papers so you can see how they were cropped and looked in the actual newspaper... but yeah they really loved my stuff and will likely use me again. I don't need the pocket change the university paper hands out, lol, but getting my name in the paper is nice...

...however as I learned from this first experience w/ them, evidently their policy is to only print names of Torch staff... so they got me a bit riled up when both my photos appeared only saying "photo provided" on the bottom... alas that will never happen again if they want photos from me in the future....

But still, my first sports photos published :)

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    That's great! Congrats! Nice shots, too! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! clap.gifclapclap.gif

That stinks that they did not mention your name though....nice shots
    Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
    http://ergphoto.smugmug.com
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    clap.gifclap.gif congrats
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • bikingbetsbikingbets Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Congrats Shima!
    Looking forward to seeing a view of the paper, too. thumb.gif
    Canon 40D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM , 580EX ll
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    ...however as I learned from this first experience w/ them, evidently their policy is to only print names of Torch staff... so they got me a bit riled up when both my photos appeared only saying "photo provided" on the bottom... alas that will never happen again if they want photos from me in the future....
    Yeah that is kind of bunk! Its like you want the photo, you print the credit!

I just found one of my photos in a book and the credit said "courtesy of UMass Media Relations"...man was I pissed!

So I am still learning from some of my early experiences too.
  • PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008

Congrats... but dang--- that's wack. I've dealt with a few University Newspapers. The few that i've dealt with have trouble holding down staff photographers cause of the way they treat them. Getting yelled at by writers, editors poorly cropping photos for print, and other stuff like that.ne_nau.gif I've since moved on from shooting for University Newspapers
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Paulcao wrote:
    Congrats... but dang--- that's wack. I've dealt with a few University Newspapers. The few that i've dealt with have trouble holding down staff photographers cause of the way they treat them. Getting yelled at by writers, editors poorly cropping photos for print, and other stuff like that.ne_nau.gif I've since moved on from shooting for University Newspapers

You would think that they'd think "oh great, free photos from someone who can shoot rather nicely! (considering my back cover and photo in their basketball special edition...) We should give this great quality photog credit (ok maybe they don't love me that much, lol) since she was so kind to give us her photo.... or not.

The photo editor at the Torch and I had a nice long discussion about how stupid the policy that "only Torch staff get credit"... after I'm around a bit longer I'm going to take it up with their faculty adviser (since I'm staff at Valparaiso University... so I can hold a bit more sway than she can). We'll see where that goes for future photogs who contribute their photos.

For all future photos I will be considered "on staff" so I can get my name in there if they use anything else.. but yeah it's silly in the first place.

In other news, my mom received the copies in the mail I sent her and was so excited :) It's nice when I get get parental pride post-college.
  • pantherlaxpantherlax Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Nice shots.
    I saw a little of the Valpo-Butler game...and i was like...Valpo...where have I heard that name? Here, from you lol.
    edited February 12, 2008
    pantherlax wrote:
    Nice shots.
    I saw a little of the Valpo-Butler game...and i was like...Valpo...where have I heard that name? Here, from you lol.

I posted some of my pics from the valpo v. butler game, check them out! It was a fun game, except for the part where we lost, lol
  • bikingbetsbikingbets Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    pantherlax wrote:
    Nice shots.

We all should've been looking for Shima under the basket!!! rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 40D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM , 580EX ll
    edited February 13, 2008
    bikingbets wrote:
    We all should've been looking for Shima under the basket!!! rolleyes1.gif

Actually amusingly enough, if you watched the Butler game on TV I was the only photo in the line of photographers who was A) Female and B) Wearing Khaki's. All the guys came donned in jeans, heh.