Min Focus Dist

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited February 7, 2008 in Holy Macro
Sorry, no photo. I'm still trying to get some nice images with my reversed 50mm 1.8.

Question though. Am I correct in thinking that "minimum focusing distance" refers to the distance from the subject to the "film plane" and that has nothing to do with "working distance" which I understand to be the distance from the front of the lens to the subject?

I'm still agonizing over the choice of a macro lens, and working distance is an important factor for me. My impression is that the practical working distance of the Nikkor 60mm (22cm min foc dist) might actually be as great as the 90mm Tamron (29cm min foc dist) due to the way the Tamron really "grows" as you approach 1:1.

I've been trying to find a comparison of lenses that includes "working distance" but have had no luck so far. Anyone have any help for me???
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Sorry, no photo. I'm still trying to get some nice images with my reversed 50mm 1.8.

Question though. Am I correct in thinking that "minimum focusing distance" refers to the distance from the subject to the "film plane" and that has nothing to do with "working distance" which I understand to be the distance from the front of the lens to the subject?

I'm still agonizing over the choice of a macro lens, and working distance is an important factor for me. My impression is that the practical working distance of the Nikkor 60mm (22cm min foc dist) might actually be as great as the 90mm Tamron (29cm min foc dist) due to the way the Tamron really "grows" as you approach 1:1.

I've been trying to find a comparison of lenses that includes "working distance" but have had no luck so far. Anyone have any help for me???

Yes you are right focus distance is from the image plane and working distance is from the front of the lens.
    Haven't got the WD of the lenses you listed but found the table below for macro lenses
    60mm Canon = 10 cm WD
    100mm Canon = 15 cm WD
    150mm Sigma = 20 cm WD
    180mm Tamron = 26cm WD
    180mm Canon = 25 cm WD

My Sigma 105mm extends as well but the WD seems to approx follow the above table if you take into account the front lens is considerably recessed.

brian V.
  • JetCrocodileJetCrocodile Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Icebear wrote:

Hope I would not be baned from this site for posting link to an other discussion site headscratch.gif

here you can see some comparison by "nikonians"

http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/43607.jpg

Regards
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Thanks Brian and JetCrocodile!
    That's precisely the data I was searching for. The Nikonians stuff is very useful for me since I shoot Nikon, but the data sheet is so well organized, it seems like the perfect thing for someone to try to expand upon by adding Canon, Pentax, Oly, etc lenses to.

I'd take it on as a project, but I'm not very "spread sheet literate." If I could get some collaboration I would think it might be a neat sticky for the forum. Any thoughts?

Skippy???
    John :
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Thanks Brian and JetCrocodile!
    That's precisely the data I was searching for. The Nikonians stuff is very useful for me since I shoot Nikon, but the data sheet is so well organized, it seems like the perfect thing for someone to try to expand upon by adding Canon, Pentax, Oly, etc lenses to.

I'd take it on as a project, but I'm not very "spread sheet literate." If I could get some collaboration I would think it might be a neat sticky for the forum. Any thoughts?

Skippy???

Ahhhh now you learn about me and my Non Technical way of doing things.
    I'm one of those people like so many of those here in Dgrin,
    who simply learn by experimenting and just getting out there and shooting.
    Most of the Technical stuff just goes right over my head.
    There are no bells and whistles with me, I simply take photos :D
    ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Most of the Technical stuff just goes right over my head.
    There are no bells and whistles with me, I simply take photos :D
    ... Skippy

Ahhhhh . . . the fundemental difference between girls and boys.mwink.gif
    John :