From the Lemaire Channel, Antarctica

LouwPhotographyLouwPhotography Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited February 9, 2008 in Landscapes
I finally got around to stitching some pictures taken in the Lemaire Channel in Antarctica. These were taken on the coldest day of the trip with the camera supported by one hand and my numbing face, the other hand in my pocket with a remote shutter trying to keep warm. A little cloning/healing to get the ship's railing out of the corners of the picture.

30D w/ 10-22mm @ 10mm, F11, 1/320s.

251726923-M.jpg

Comments

• VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Good photo!
    I can feel the cold…*:D
  • JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    I like your website. You've seen quite a bit of the world. Cool.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Excellent capture! It was worth the cold. thumb.gif

I love how it's growing right out of the water. It looks frozen, unchanging, and austere. I never would have guessed you were on a ship with how smooth the water is.

(why have I never thought to hide my hand in my pocket to hit the remote in cold weather? headscratch.gif)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    clap.gifclap.gif
  • LouwPhotographyLouwPhotography Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Jeroen wrote:
    I like your website. You've seen quite a bit of the world. Cool.
    Thanks -- so many places to go and not enough vacation time or money. :cry Oh well, just keep working our way down the list!
    schmoo wrote:
    Excellent capture! It was worth the cold. thumb.gif

I love how it's growing right out of the water. It looks frozen, unchanging, and austere. I never would have guessed you were on a ship with how smooth the water is.

(why have I never thought to hide my hand in my pocket to hit the remote in cold weather? headscratch.gif)
    I was alone above the bridge w/o anywhere to hide against the wind. (Translation: I was dumb and froze my *** off waiting for "the shot" while everyone else was on the deck happily taking pictures and ducking back into the ship every now and then.) Every once in a while, all the ice debris in the water would clear up and a picture opportunity would present itself.

I wish I could have introduced more scale into the first shot, but couldn't figure out how. Here's a different angle to give perspective, but doesn't show off the mountain. (The mountain on the right is the subject of the original picture. )

252338175_J57sv-M-2.jpg

Thanks again, everyone!
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    I've really enjoyed your travel photography! You're so fortunate to have visited as many places as you have.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Great shot from Lemaire. I hear what you're saying about trying to introduce perspective. I found it hard to do so myself - except on the few occasions when I had something like a zodiac in front of a glacier or iceberg. The scale of the scenery in Antarctica just doesn't come across in pictures.