Here are 4 landscapes...

Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
edited February 8, 2008 in Landscapes
let's say i've got a 'friend' who is in a photo competition, and wants to know if these are competition-worthy...:wink

251434314-L.jpg

251435452-L.jpg

251764639-L.jpg

251764427-L-1.jpg

critique, suggestions, etc. greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!
Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
www.printandportfolio.com
This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341

Comments

• tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    ok, will take a shot at this one.

If this "contest" is important and the quality of past entries is bowdown.gif , I think something is missing. They are beautiful landscape photos under any circumstance, but given it is a competition mwink.gif just ne_nau.gif

That said, of the 4. The first is really dazzling. Love the lighting and the colors.
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    I am no expert by any means by here is MO, I like the 1st and the 2nd, 1st as mentioned for the dramatic lighting and the second appeals to me. Last 2 do nothing for me. On #2 your lighting in the sky is a bit flat. JMO
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    I just have to say that I love that first one, you nailed the exposure on that! Composition is great too :) Maybe crop it in a bit tighter on the right side, to avoid the lit tree to be dead center, but i don't know, I'm an amateur, all I know is that I like it :)
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Hyllmark92Hyllmark92 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Well I love the first one because of the lightning an color's, and the second one really catches the bridge and the light behind it :)
    I'm an amature but I would say that they are fit for competitions.
    Smile
  • Kowboy33Kowboy33 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    I like the first one as well, Captures the colors and light very nicely!. The second is not bad either. the other two are kind of plain, nothing really going on.

Someone else mentioned cropping the first one, give that a try. place the sun or maybe one trees using the rule of thirds. And maybe place the horizon at a third. Just an idea to play with. Trying to picture it wiht the top of the trees cropped, and maybe even losing the right side where yoou see a little bit of the sun hitting the grass.
    Come check out my Artwork too. Graphite Renderings.
    http://www.LongRanch.com
  • will-jumwill-jum Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    The first and the fourth are, not sure they would win anything tho, as normally, competition winning shots are like "PHAOW O.O"
  • Hyllmark92Hyllmark92 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    In my opinion the first one is "Phaow O.o" :)
    But I agree that the last two is Plain, but maybe with some editing?
    Smile
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Thank you all for your comments! The consensus is the first one has the most impact out of the four. I appreciate the suggestions too on cropping it. I like this crop better....what do you think?
    This image is a line of orchards that had a lit sign behind it. I shot it on a foggy night, long exposure.
    251921408-L-1.jpg

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    much better, good luck to your friend mwink.gif
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • will-jumwill-jum Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Hyllmark92 wrote:
    In my opinion the first one is "Phaow O.o" :)
    But I agree that the last two is Plain, but maybe with some editing?

It is preety good, but would be better if the tree towards the right wasn't there, as it would fully draw your eye to the middle with the one tree in portrait...
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    First one is nice. I like the original crop or better yet wider if it's already cropped.
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    First one is nice. I like the original crop or better yet wider if it's already cropped.

Thanks. Actually the first one is uncropped and pretty much untouched. So wider isn't an option. I'm often guilty of not taking a big enough photo - I hate to crop if I don't have to, and often go too far the other way. I'll set it aside for a few days and rethink it.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • nedlA kraMnedlA kraM Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    i agree original crop...the second crop seemed to be pushing the focus and bit to far and made the image look soft in my opinion

good luck in the competition :D
    Life only happens once....so capture it
  • 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Agreed! Nice job on the crop. I do like this picture.