Cajon del Maipo (Chile)

pyanezpyanez Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited February 8, 2008 in Landscapes
One of the wonderful things about visiting Chile is the compactness of it's landscapes. Form the capital of Santiago (about 5 million people) it only takes about 1 hour to get into the high andes (with peaks in the 20,000+ foot range which are visible from the city) or 1 hour to get to the coast which in amazingly similar in many places to that Big Sur/Carmel/Monterey in California.

One of my favorite places to visit is the Cajon del Maipo (or the Maipo River Canyon). This small-ish and torrential river drains from the Andean peaks along the border with Argentina and discharges into the central valley of Chile along the southern boundary of Santiago. The area is very easily accessible from the city (35 minute drive to get into the bottom of the canyon) and offers lots of attractions such as waterfalls, outdoor activities, glaciers, TALL mountains and numerous hotsprings. In some locations a 4X drive is preferable, but I've made it almost to the border of Argentina on gravel roads using just a sedan.

I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Santiago, especially if your time is limited.

A sample of photos there are many more in this Gallery

Baños Colina (hotsprings):
92223697.jpg

It's easy to loose a sense of scale (BIG mining truck in the inset):
92358075.jpg

Wildflowers which covered large portion of high slopes:

92636707.jpg

Horses:
92610125.jpg

Summer snow starting to fall:
92589970.jpg

Exposed Geology:
92611924.jpg

El Yeso Reservoir (a tributary to the Maipo River):
92102488.jpg

View from the Refugio Lo Valdes (aka German Club)

92636561.jpg

A nice waterfall just off the main road (one of MANY) -- great air conditioning on a HOT day!!

92636715.ooiKx9Q1.jpg

View from Baños Colina

92636713.jpg

The Volcan San Jose (active ~20,000') dominates the eastern end of the Cajon del Maipo

92636710.jpg]

Final one is not of the Cajon del Maipo and not even a good photo but it illustrates why Chile is often referred to as a "Long and Thin" country. Guilty of both counts. On average probably only a 100 miles or so in width (east-west), as "fat" as 250 miles in a couple of places, and as "skiny" as a dozen or so miles in a few places. North-South however, it is as long as the US is wide (about 2,700 miles or so).

This photo illustrates the "thin" part fairly well. In the foreground you can see the Pacific Ocean beach town of Papudo and in the background is Cerro Aconcagua, the tallest mountain outside of the Himalayas, which is in Argentina a few miles from the border with Chile.

So here is a complete slice of Chile... "sliced" the short way, for the long way I'd need a satellite.

92636714.jpg

Comments

• giogio Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2008
    Hi,

gorgeous views !

Hope to visit Chile sooner or later.

Regards,

Giovanni.
  • 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    WOW, your views are very nice. I would love to visit. Thanks for sharingthumb.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    clap.gif
    You have shown us a beautiful collection of a beautiful country. I have long wanted to visit Chile for the reasons you stated: all kinds of luscious terrain in a relatively compact area. I don't see too many photos coming out of there, however.

I can't believe the size of some of those mountains. Your photos are so wonderful: a picturesque place shot with an artist's eye. Thanks for sharing! ... and pointing out that mining truck :D
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Pablo, outstanding photos in your gallery.thumb.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Splendid
    thanks for sharing !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • pyanezpyanez Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Thanks for all the nice comments -- but feel free to be critical as well :-)

BTW - for those more experienced DGRIN'ers, should I have posted this in the "Journeys" forum instead of "Landscapes" (sorry, I'm not that experienced with the lay o' da land around here yet)

Pablo
  • JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Nr1 is very funny :D Beautifull country too. Very nice series. Well done thumb.gif
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Getting a grasp on huge mountain landscape can be such a challenge. Love the way you used the dump truck as a scale point!
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork