Options

Fire and Ice Taken To Extremes (25 pic warning!)

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited February 9, 2008 in Journeys
Alright, so I can't really say TOO much, since that will blow it for you guys when it airs on TV and nobody wants that, so this post I'm going to be as vague and elusive as I can, and let the pictures do the explaining for you. I'm sure most of you will be able to fill in all the details yourselves! :D

Last week I was notified of a job with the Mat-Su Water Rescue Team. I'd been told to "keep a couple days free," and on Monday morning I woke up to a phone call telling me when to be where. Upon request I also rolled my roommate Richard out of bed and asked him if he wanted to work for the day. Three hours later and with only the word "mythbusters" as a faint clue of what we were doing, I threw my camera in the support vehicle and followed the dive rescue van on a bit of a drive. We wound up down a recently plowed road through a snowy gravel pit that took us to a small pond excavated from some sort of quarry operations. Still mysterious.

At the end of the road there were some vehicles. Several police cars from a town a good distance away, some shiny SUVs, and two large motorhomes. An odd collection to exist in a gravel pit in rural Alaska. Cliff, the dive team chief, took off to find out our roles in what-in-the-world was going on.

We learned quickly that day that for the next three days, all we'd really be doing was standing out in the cold, but somehow subzero temperatures were tolerable. I mean it's not every day that a couple of poor rough characters from a town the world knows nothing about get to work on the set of an international television show. :D I took out my camera.

Joe, a water rescue team member, with some filming going on in the background.
myth001.jpg

Jamie hucks some "dynamite" into the distance.
myth004.jpg

These mics are super sensitive. They told us about our whispered conversations from 200 feet away. Hope I didn't say anything unkind! :rofl
myth005.jpg

Raise your hand if you like explosions?
myth007.jpg

Big, big, big ones?
myth008.jpg

I asked myself a couple of times: Why here? Why US? :rofl
myth011.jpg

Quite fitting that a bomb technician should use a canon, eh? These guys were having as much fun shooting pics as us, although their services were a bit more in demand.
myth013.jpg

I'll give these guys credit, everybody on the show works VERY hard from sunup to sundown for days to make that quick segment we all watch on TV. I was duly impressed... no slackers here!
myth018.jpg

Of course, a candid or two were in order.
myth024.jpg

And there's always room for some Alaska appreciation.
myth026.jpg

That's sunset above, and early the next day it looked like this:
myth029.jpg

And here's a few assorted people shots. Got more of these than of the action, but that's why you'll have to actually watch the show! :D

Starting with a bomb technician.
myth032.jpg

A water rescue technician.
myth034.jpg

A little of both water and bomb.
myth037.jpg

Adam and some icy machinery. He had a canon around his neck too, by the way. :thumb
myth039.jpg

The setup for the big fun. :D
myth043.jpg

Not exactly where you'd envision thousands of dollars of camera... :D
myth047.jpg

Giving "kick the bucket" a very literal meaning... except it's a box. A very fun box.
myth049.jpg

This girl makes me smile every time I see her. :D "You're not from around here, are you?"
myth050.jpg

Adam again. Alaskan winters keep the sun low on the horizon, which can work well for midday light.
myth051.jpg

A few more people shots as the action winds to a close. Here's a bomb tech.
myth054.jpg

Joe again, hiding behind a motorhome.
myth055.jpg

A high school friend of mine, also invited out to work for the show.
myth056.jpg

Hehe... it was cold. More bomb squad here.
myth057.jpg

Well now here's a puzzle... Didn't there used to be a vehicle there?
myth058.jpg

Huh... It's gone...
myth059.jpg

Ahh... found it again! :D
myth064.jpg

That's it for last week's excitement! When the show airs in two to four months, you'll get to see more than I actually did of the big booms, and learn a bit more of the story, and without even suffering the frigid cold! Look for me in the credits, and maybe a brief flash on screen here or there. :D

myth065.jpg
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Great :Dclap.gif
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Great pictures! clap.gif (What's all that white stuff? headscratch.gif)
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    My favorite tv show!! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gifmythbustersclap.gifclapclap.gif
    I love it just amazing

thanks for sharing photos !
    great images
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited February 9, 2008
    I used to work near their HQ. Too much fun those guys have thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Thanks for the glimpse in to some future exploding fun! I love that show and it looks like you had fun despite the freezing weather.