Control panel layout

I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
edited February 7, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I've a few questions about the control panel , it is a big improvement on what it was but still not very intuitive for my particular brain, but Im kindsa gettingthe hang of it

However question no 1:
why is the hello world and helo smuggers under the 'seetings and not under customise?
I can see it's a kind of 'setting' but so we could argue are thethings under' customize'
The point is most of what is in settings is info that has nothing to do witth ho thw site appears, whereas customise is just about how the site appears

Is this another case of 'Don't use that - Use smugbrowser'?:dunno
Veni-Vidi-Snappii
...pics..

Comments

• I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    question no 2
    Ok so I see the sign about fotoflot.. interesting .. wonder how much it costs ..

I know I'll look in the pricing... er where's that?.. there must be easy quick way to see; I know I'll look in the control panel ( obvious place for it right?).. nah can't find it (if it's there it's not easy to find), OK Andy's always telling me to use the SmugBrowser when IM trying to do things - I'll give that ago: after a few minutes with Smugborwser I can't find it.. not saying it's not there , just not easy to find, try these things at the bottom of Smugbrowser..doh, grrr- gonna have to visit the Smugbroser forum for that lot.. OK prices prices where would the prices be... SM teamed with fotoflot it said.. so I know it'll be in te list on my pricespage ( I could have looked there first but I thought there'd be a quicker way than Gallery>category>gallery>customize>headscratch.gif ooops - wrong path (headscratch.gif ) try again:your photos>category>phototols>pro pricing, right here we are...scroll, scroll, hmm can't see it must be scrolling too quick , slow scroll , back again, hmm why can't I see it. What am I doing wrong, it said SM had teamed up with FotofLot, so where's the prices? Hmm go back and check the origibnal announcement ..- SM homepage .fotoflot announcement> yup it definitely says SM has pertenered with them..so where's the prices..
    . I know! on the fotoflot site

*cough*

This is the process I go thorugh when I want to make changes of even just check something because I don't use it every day.

Never mind whether SM is partnered or just promoting flotoflt - my problem was not being able to find a central place to view/control prices, yes there's acontrol of sorts once you get to pro pricing but that's hardly central is it?

Knowing me I have missed the central one but even if I have , this jst isn't user friendly ( for a mac user) not to be able to find it;-) Hey Ive got the hang of Macs really well yet still after a couple of years Im still struggling with SMs control panel hieracrchies.

what can I say?ne_nau.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
    edited February 7, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    I've a few questions about the control panel , it is a big improvement on what it was but still not very intuitive for my particular brain, but Im kindsa gettingthe hang of it

However question no 1:
    why is the hello world and helo smuggers under the 'seetings and not under customise?
    I can see it's a kind of 'setting' but so we could argue are thethings under' customize'
    The point is most of what is in settings is info that has nothing to do witth ho thw site appears, whereas customise is just about how the site appears

Is this another case of 'Don't use that - Use smugbrowser'?ne_nau.gif

EDIT: should I have posted this in "pro suport forum ? (feel free to move)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:

However question no 1:

Is this another case of 'Don't use that - Use smugbrowser'?ne_nau.gif

We've got a lot of "stuff" you can do to your site. No doubt, tools and settings are scattered. We know we need to organize 'em better and it's on our short-ish-term list to do just that. Making it dead-simple for you to find the tools you need no matter where you are.
    NONE of the stuff in Control panel is in SmugBrowser. BUT lol3.gif there's a cool tool called SmugManager (written by a Smugger) that gives you neat Firefox linkys to a lot of your stuff in control panel. http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps
    edited February 7, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    Ok so I see the sign about fotoflot.. interesting .. wonder how much it costs ..

I know I'll look in the pricing... er where's that?.. there must be easy quick way to see; I know I'll look in the control panel ( obvious place for it right?).. nah can't find it (if it's there it's not easy to find), OK Andy's always telling me to use the SmugBrowser when IM trying to do things - I'll give that ago: after a few minutes with Smugborwser I can't find it.. not saying it's not there , just not easy to find, try these things at the bottom of Smugbrowser..doh, grrr- gonna have to visit the Smugbroser forum for that lot.. OK prices prices where would the prices be... SM teamed with fotoflot it said.. so I know it'll be in te list on my pricespage ( I could have looked there first but I thought there'd be a quicker way than Gallery>category>gallery>customize>headscratch.gif ooops - wrong path (headscratch.gif ) try again:your photos>category>phototols>pro pricing, right here we are...scroll, scroll, hmm can't see it must be scrolling too quick , slow scroll , back again, hmm why can't I see it. What am I doing wrong, it said SM had teamed up with FotofLot, so where's the prices? Hmm go back and check the origibnal announcement ..- SM homepage .fotoflot announcement> yup it definitely says SM has pertenered with them..so where's the prices..
    . I know! on the fotoflot site

*cough*

This is the process I go thorugh when I want to make changes of even just check something because I don't use it every day.

Never mind whether SM is partnered or just promoting flotoflt - my problem was not being able to find a central place to view/control prices, yes there's acontrol of sorts once you get to pro pricing but that's hardly central is it?

Knowing me I have missed the central one but even if I have , this jst isn't user friendly ( for a mac user) not to be able to find it;-) Hey Ive got the hang of Macs really well yet still after a couple of years Im still struggling with SMs control panel hieracrchies.

what can I say?ne_nau.gif

SmugBrowser--> Gallery type settings (the things you'd find in Gallery Tools>Customize Gallery)

Control Panel -->Customize Tab, make new categories, sucategories, etc.

Fotoflot pricing, go to their website www.fotoflot.com, OR, navigate to your photo on your website, click "buy this photo" and then click the fotoflot link right in the cart interface.
    edited February 7, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    after a couple of years Im still struggling with SMs control panel hieracrchies.

We know it. Stay tuned and hang in there... Thanks Simon.
    edited February 7, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We've got a lot of "stuff" you can do to your site. No doubt, tools and settings are scattered. We know we need to organize 'em better and it's on our short-ish-term list to do just that. Making it dead-simple for you to find the tools you need no matter where you are.
    NONE of the stuff in Control panel is in SmugBrowser. BUT lol3.gif there's a cool tool called SmugManager (written by a Smugger) that gives you neat Firefox linkys to a lot of your stuff in control panel. http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps
    Iv'e never been keen on hacks and 3pty apps I suppose ever since it was invariably the cause of problems when I used Mac OS 9,an even more recntly Mac os 10. Those little harmelss things caused no end of nuisance under the bonnet. So I kinda avoid them nowadays. Once bittenmwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
    edited February 7, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We know it. Stay tuned and hang in there... Thanks Simon.

Okey jolly 'ol dokeymwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    Iv'e never been keen on hacks and 3pty apps I suppose ever since it was invariably the cause of problems when I used Mac OS 9,an even more recntly Mac os 10. Those little harmelss things caused no end of nuisance under the bonnet. So I kinda avoid them nowadays. Once bittenmwink.gif

Andy's talking about an add-on for FireFox, which is really very harmless. One of the major benefits of FF is that you can add on apps like this, and add quite a bit of customizable functionality to your browser.

No need to worry.

I know what you mean about extensions in OS9 and earlier, but I've yet to have any problems with OSX and anything I've added on. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited February 7, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    SmugBrowser--> Gallery type settings (the things you'd find in Gallery Tools>Customize Gallery)

Control Panel -->Customize Tab, make new categories, sucategories, etc.

Fotoflot pricing, go to their website www.fotoflot.com, OR, navigate to your photo on your website, click "buy this photo" and then click the fotoflot link right in the cart interface.

ahh so you have to actually feint as if to buy to find the price - very crafty grasshopper:D
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
    edited February 7, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Andy's talking about an add-on for FireFox, which is really very harmless. One of the major benefits of FF is that you can add on apps like this, and add quite a bit of customizable functionality to your browser.

No need to worry.

I know what you mean about extensions in OS9 and earlier, but I've yet to have any problems with OSX and anything I've added on. ne_nau.gif

OK fair enough but to be honest it'\s just anoter thing that takes effort to learn and time to do -- I have little enough hair as it is , I don't want to pull the rest out from frustrationmwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
    edited February 7, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    OK fair enough but to be honest it'\s just anoter thing that takes effort to learn and time to do -- I have little enough hair as it is , I don't want to pull the rest out from frustrationmwink.gif

Judging by this thread you have a lot of time on your hands. mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited February 7, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Judging by this thread you have a lot of time on your hands. mwink.gif

er..I do?eek7.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
    edited February 7, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    er..I do?eek7.gif

Enough time to write a journey through your mind in post 2!
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited February 7, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Enough time to write a journey through your mind in post 2!

Stream of consciousness mate - timeless!mwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..