Options

Lightroom: How to Import CR2 but not JPG files?

darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
edited February 10, 2008 in Technique
Here's the deal. I have my camera set to JPG+RAW for photo capturing. The JPG is basically just so that I have something to immediately load onto my Archos for viewing on a decent screen (when I have no laptop with me).

When I import all my files into Lightroom I'd really rather not import the JPG files as they are just low-quality duplicates of the CR2 files.

The question is, does anyone know if there is a checkbox or setting in Lightroom to ignore the JPG files? I have the "ignore possible duplicates" checked but it still seems to be importing the JPG files. I can't find a "load only RAW" checkbox anywhere.

Thanks.

EDIT: I think i put this in the wrong forum, could a mod pleas move it to finishing school for me?
~ Lisa

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Here's the deal. I have my camera set to JPG+RAW for photo capturing. The JPG is basically just so that I have something to immediately load onto my Archos for viewing on a decent screen (when I have no laptop with me).

When I import all my files into Lightroom I'd really rather not import the JPG files as they are just low-quality duplicates of the CR2 files.

The question is, does anyone know if there is a checkbox or setting in Lightroom to ignore the JPG files? I have the "ignore possible duplicates" checked but it still seems to be importing the JPG files. I can't find a "load only RAW" checkbox anywhere.

Thanks.

EDIT: I think i put this in the wrong forum, could a mod pleas move it to finishing school for me?

In the Lightroom preferences panel on the "Import" tab there is an option:

[ ] Treat JPEG files next to RAW files as separate photos

Presumably, if you leave this option unchecked, LR will ignore the JPEG with the same name as the RAW file, but I haven't tried it myself. You can copy a RAW and matching JPEG file to a new directory and try a sample import of that directory to see if it does what you want.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Actually, no, it takes both JPEG and RAW and treats them as one file. The file is referred to in LR as "[name of file].RAW+JPEG" and have to manually rid yourself of the JPEGS. LR gets confused when you search for ".JPG" for example and finds RAW files along side it. I'd love a feature to "ignore JPEGS".
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Select import.
    When the selection window pops up, sort files by type.
    Select the first or last half group of images, depending on which group is your RAW.

Import.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    Actually, no, it takes both JPEG and RAW and treats them as one file. The file is referred to in LR as "[name of file].RAW+JPEG" and have to manually rid yourself of the JPEGS. LR gets confused when you search for ".JPG" for example and finds RAW files along side it. I'd love a feature to "ignore JPEGS".
    You should goto the Adobe forums and request this then. The Lr team actually listens to shooters. Just have good resons why this should be added and how it benefits everyone, not just you.