Palo Duro Canyon Texas

Kowboy33Kowboy33 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited February 11, 2008 in Landscapes
Was at Palo Duro Canyojn south of Amarillo TX back in the fall. Took some of my first landscape shots. Looking for suggestions on shooting landscapes. I took these wiht little knowledge and did touch up in Photoshop. Already got the some new knowledge from my current class, use a tripod and a an fstop around 16 to 22. So I'm open to suggestions from all the great shooters i see on here on how to take a good landscape photo. Thanks.

204770477-M-1.jpg

Have to stop placing th horizon in the middle!

204771322-M-1.jpg
Come check out my Artwork too. Graphite Renderings.
http://www.LongRanch.com

Comments

• dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    I like Palo Duro a lot
    Both of those pictures look like they came from the Lighthouse Trail.

I guess I need to post some of mine tonight.

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Kowboy33Kowboy33 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Yes they did, well the begining of it.
    Did not have the time or water to wlak the trail, was about 90 and sunny.

Wnated to get back to get closer to the lighthouse rock formation, maybe next.

Would like to see some of your pictures!
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Your exposure is very good but can tell it was quite bright. If make out to Amarillo this year the canyon is on my list to go see. Wasn't able to get over there when I was out there in '07.

Try shooting the hour after sunrise or hour before sunset so the colors will really come out.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited February 8, 2008
    It was extremely bright.
    I should have a had a tripod, shot a a higher apeture and slower shutter to get a better color saturation. I did adjust the exposure in photoshop and the sky color, they skies were coming out more hazy and gray. If i make it out there this year, we may go for a few more days and drive out to the grand canyon. Wide angle lens may help too.

We wanted to go the next morning, but we stayed out to late the night before! Was actually there for the rodeo.

Not sure if this would be useful, but I purchased an expo disc for setting WB. Your suppose to go to your object and shoot back to where you would be standing to get the reading. Is there anyway of using it for landscape shoots, where I can't get to the object? Think i kind answered my question!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Hey Kowboy wave.gif

I think technically these shots are quite good. I wouldn't overthink the shooting process too much, because you can get quite mired down on gadgets and gear. Of course, a lot of people prefer to think about the gear. That works out if you're tech-minded. :D

I think getting the right light will go quite far for your shots. I can tell in these that it was in the middle of the day and the sun kinda washes out everything at that point. Understandably not every schedule permits sitting around and waiting for sunrise or sunset especially if you've got rodeos to attend, but it's something to keep in mind.

Keep shooting and bringing back great landscapes from out there. :D
    edited February 11, 2008
    Like your location, Smalltimore! Guess your from a larger city.
    I'm living near there now, its actually to big for me! :D

Definitely, the time of day would make the biggest and best change.
    I had no idea there was even a canyon near Amarillo until i got there, another lesson learned to research the area you go to shoot, cause you may something unexpected in a totally flat landscape, like a huge whole in the ground!