Cleaning a D200 w/ the copperhill method

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited February 7, 2008 in Cameras
I'm completely comfortable cleaning a sensor w/ the copperhill method. I've cleaned my old D50's sensor over a hundred times.

Question is about my D200. I understand that when I go to clean the sensor. I'll essentially see the same thing as my D50 (except for a WAY bigger sensor).

Does anyone have any reson why I shouldn't clean this myself?

I've read around that one of the Canon cameras don't like the Copperhill method at all (read, breaks). So I'm just checking the dgrin KB to make sure there aren't any hidden pitfalls.

Thanks,
-Jon

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'm completely comfortable cleaning a sensor w/ the copperhill method. I've cleaned my old D50's sensor over a hundred times.

Question is about my D200. I understand that when I go to clean the sensor. I'll essentially see the same thing as my D50 (except for a WAY bigger sensor).

I've read around that one of the Canon cameras don't like the Copperhill method at all (read, breaks). So I'm just checking the dgrin KB to make sure there aren't any hidden pitfalls.

Thanks,
    -Jon
    The Canon to which you are referring is, I believe, the 40D and the XTi. These have a tin oxide coating (I think) on the first glass filter in front of the sensor. The coating, I'm guessing, is to help with removing dust bunnies when you turn off the camera - that element gets shook a bit.

Anyway, the standard Eclipse fluid is said to, over time, remove that coating. They have a new one that they call ECLIPSE E2 that they say is safe for these sensors. You might want to check out this page for more information.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Thanks Scott. Thats exactly what I needed to see.
    I could even compare it to the D50 and saw I have all the same cleaning gear :D

Much thanks.

-Jon
  • larsbclarsbc Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I don't mean to disappoint you but...the sensor will be exactly the same dimensions as the one in your D50. Both cameras are DX-type sensors. The D200 has much more resolution but that won't make a difference in the physical dimensions.
    Nope. I've cleaned my D70 and D200 with the Copperhill kit. Doing the D200 is no different than doing the D70. Just make sure you get the correct solution.

The only difference is that doing the D200 is scarier because it costs more. :D

larsbc
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    larsbc wrote:
    I don't mean to disappoint you but...the sensor will be exactly the same dimensions as the one in your D50. Both cameras are DX-type sensors. The D200 has much more resolution but that won't make a difference in the physical dimensions.
    That is kind of a disappointment since I was hoping to see more. But I still have the resolution. So who cares. Right? :D
    larsbc wrote:
    The only difference is that doing the D200 is scarier because it costs more. :D
    TRUE!