newbie hockey shots

papaglockpapaglock Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited February 12, 2008 in Sports
Just got my Canon 1DMKIIN. I have the 70-200 2.8L IS lens. Here are a couple.

Go easy on me!! I wanna learn!!

Comments

• papaglockpapaglock Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Another

papaglock wrote:
    Just got my Canon 1DMKIIN. I have the 70-200 2.8L IS lens. Here are a couple.

Go easy on me!! I wanna learn!!
    edited February 7, 2008
    Another
    papaglock wrote:
    Another
    edited February 7, 2008
    last one
    papaglock wrote:
    Another
  • hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    what settings did you shott these at? mostly i'm wondering about the ISO. I understand your camera has very solid and pretty moderatly low noise at about 2000-3200. You'll be able to get a lot more help if you post the settings.
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    what settings did you shott these at? mostly i'm wondering about the ISO. I understand your camera has very solid and pretty moderatly low noise at about 2000-3200. You'll be able to get a lot more help if you post the settings.

Yeah I was wondering the same are you doing manual settings are you setting some sort of prority?
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Without exif, 2 things jump out at me:
    1. Skin tones look off. First guess is that images were underexposed and corrective action was taken in PP.

2. Looks like the images might be overcropped. There's a softness/lack of detail usually associated with overcropping.

Any chance you can post unedited versions of a couple of these?
    edited February 12, 2008
    Sorry for the delay. The weather here has been brutal!

How can I post the originals? They are large files and exceed the size limit.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and questions! I have spent some time looking around for the "right" settings. I have been shooting at either 1600 or 3200 ISO. I did crop, and automatic contrast, and sometimes color corection with either Picasa or Adobe.

I will get the exif data for the next ones.

Thanks.

Tony
    Tony

johng wrote:
    Without exif, 2 things jump out at me:
    1. Skin tones look off. First guess is that images were underexposed and corrective action was taken in PP.

2. Looks like the images might be overcropped. There's a softness/lack of detail usually associated with overcropping.

Any chance you can post unedited versions of a couple of these?
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    papaglock wrote:
    Sorry for the delay. The weather here has been brutal!

How can I post the originals? They are large files and exceed the size limit.

Tony

Ah, sorry for creating confusion. No need to post the originals - what I meant was just resize the originals with no other post processing - no cropping, no levels adjustment, no ISO adjustment if doing raw conversion, etc.
  • hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    papaglock wrote:
    I did crop, and automatic contrast, and sometimes color corection with either Picasa or Adobe.

more times than not, that auto color correction and contrast can throw off a picture greatly. sometimes it can throw off skintones or even make the noise mch more noticeable. be very careful with those!
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
    edited February 12, 2008
    OHH! OK I see what you are saying. I will post some pics with resize only.

On the auto adjusts, is that a universal thing i.e. any program that does auto correct or just particular programs? How would one correct color on a complete batch? I understand that settings can be set, but from picture to picture, I know there can be lighting fluctuations as well as others due to any number of enviromental things.

I am new to all of this and please bare with me if I am a bit slow on the uptake.

I shot about 350 hockey pictures last night. I will browse through and throw out the obvious bad shots, out of focus, out of frame, etc. I would like to be able to apply some type of corre ctions to the remainder as a batch. Otherwise I will have to go over each and every picture. I just dont have enough hours in the day to do that.

Thanks for the continuing help!!

Tony

Photo's to follow shortly

more times than not, that auto color correction and contrast can throw off a picture greatly. sometimes it can throw off skintones or even make the noise mch more noticeable. be very careful with those!