Options

Help on trip to California

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited March 26, 2004 in The Big Picture
My wife and I will be visiting San Fransisco from the 31st of this month till the 8th of April.

I know there are some folks here from that area.

I enjoy shooting wildlife of any kind, and scenics.

What are the "must visit" sites in the city and nearby areas?

We were thinking of visiting Yosemite and Sequoiya (spelled wrong?) NPs but I have no idea what the weather conditions are this time of year. Is this a practical idea? What are the road conditions there now? If we go what should we be prepared for?

Comments

• Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    My boyfriend lives up in Tahoe, and we're actually looking forward to getting a contractor going on the cabin so it can be FINISHED. It's been relatively warm in the Sierras lately, with little precipitation, and by now probably a good bit of snowmelt going. I figure if it's that good that far up the mountains, it's even better the closer you get to goldrush country.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    It's been hot in the west. Vegas just set a record for their earliest 90 degree day of the year. Sacramento's setting some heat records. So SF will probably be bone-chilling cold! The roads should be clear.

I hear the life's pretty wild in the Castro district, if you're looking for unique local fauna. :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    It's been hot in the west.
    Not anymore. We're cool again...back to 60's and 70's and down to high 40's at night.

Phoenix is 80's and 90's, down to 50's at night.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Not anymore. We're cool again...back to 60's and 70's and down to high 40's at night.

Phoenix is 80's and 90's, down to 50's at night.
    Fish...you oughta get a job with the WeatherChannel!
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    komet wrote:
    Fish...you oughta get a job with the WeatherChannel!
    Waxy taught me everything i know about weather. :D
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 24, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    My wife and I will be visiting San Fransisco from the 31st of this month till the 8th of April.

I know there are some folks here from that area.

I enjoy shooting wildlife of any kind, and scenics.

What are the "must visit" sites in the city and nearby areas?

We were thinking of visiting Yosemite and Sequoiya (spelled wrong?) NPs but I have no idea what the weather conditions are this time of year. Is this a practical idea? What are the road conditions there now? If we go what should we be prepared for?
    Greaper - I am not a local out in SF - I am a Flatlander - but I did go to school in Palo Alto for a few years - drive down the coast highway from San Franciso to Half Moon Bay or further south in the late afternoon sun - preferably on a weekday - should see some nice views - drive through the Golden Gate park which was the Presidio a long time ago. Nice views of the Golden Gate bridge if I recall. Drive south on Skyline Drive for a nice view Bayside also. If you ride mountain bikes, they have some nice trails out there too.

The Left Coasters I am sure can give you more detailed information also.lickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited March 26, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Anytime you visit the Sierra, you should be prepared for any kind of weather.

Yosemite is great anytime. I especially like winter. Sequoia and Kings Canyon is
    a beautiful park too. Less visited, a bit harder to get to too. A visit to S & K
    should include a trip up Morro Rock for a fantastic vista.

If you're in the City, there are plenty of great scenic shots from the Marin
    side of the Golden Gate Bridge. There's also Point Bonita Lighthouse,
    Point Reyes National Seashore, Tomales Bay (Oysters in the town of
    Marshall--bring cash). The list is endless.

Might I recommend a map from www.madmaps.com/ ?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?