Options

Northern Uganda

gregkendallballgregkendallball Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited February 9, 2008 in Journeys
In January, I had the privilege of spending two weeks shooting for a humanitarian non-profit organization in Northern Uganda. It was an amazing experience, and while most of the images I captured were for the organization's use, I feel pretty good about some of the ones I brought back. Your thoughts and comments are welcome:

2228623150_8eecaf78e0.jpg
A young girl carries her infant brother on her back in an IDP camp near Gulu.
Canon 40D, 70-200mm @ 200mm, f/4, 1/125, ISO 200

2229320698_9a43e9c5fe.jpg
A little boy in the Awer IDP camp later approached me and asked me to photograph his little bear.
Canon 40D, 70-200 @ 200mm, f/4, 1/200, ISO 200.

2228526191_a886060042.jpg
Canon 40D, 70-200 @ 91mm, f/4, 1/80, ISO 160

See the rest of the set on Flickr, or stop by my photoblog to see some of the stories behind these shots.
KendallBall.com

Canon 40D
Canon 30D
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L
Canon EF 50mm 1.4
Canon 580EX II

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    I think they look pretty nice. It's more of a personal preference issue, but I'd like to see a warmer color/tone to the shot.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Hi gregkendallball

Thanks for posting these. It's good to see more stuff from the 40D.

You know, photos of children, especially exotic ones like these, are affecting for reasons other than their photographic quality. Makes it difficult "to see the wood from the trees".

I like them, and I think I do for their photographic quality.

First, I like the way the subject in each has presence. That is due mainly, I think, to the excellent cropping and bokeh (plus, in #2, to the second figure). The photos have weight.

Second, the color filter enhances contrast and is flattering to the skin color. The effect is enhanced by the fine lighting.

Regards.

Tee Why wrote:
    I think they look pretty nice. It's more of a personal preference issue, but I'd like to see a warmer color/tone to the shot.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Brilliant photos !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    gregkendallballgregkendallball Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Thanks, everyone, for the comments.

I have altered the color/tone a little, but my aim was to recreate the mood of the IDP camp...the heat was oppressive (as you can see from the sweat on "Sister's" face), the conditions were dreary, and the whole place was dusty, dry and brown. I hope the alterations don't distract too heavily from the subjects.

I appreciate all the comments...
    KendallBall.com

Canon 40D
    Canon 30D
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS
    Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    awmphotoawmphoto Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    I really like the shots I think the work well and convey a story which is great. Just out of curiosity what non profit were you working for because I know the group Invisible Children is active in that area and I'm a big fan of what they do. Regardless awesome shots!
    awmphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ShanerShaner Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Those are great photos. I don't know how to say it but the apsect I like most is that when I look at their eyes I feel something, like you really captured the moment.