edited February 10, 2008 in Landscapes
A 63 second exposure.

2250176092_ef30d159b2_o.jpg
Visit My Web Site ~ http://www.tomkaszuba.com/

Comments

• Options
    Quzol1Quzol1 Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Nice thumb.gif I could see this on the cover of a SciFi book.
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Nice
    Nice exposure and very very interesting to stare at.

Given the aperture and exposure time recorded in the EXIF (sorry, couldn't resist being nosy), I take it you were in near total darkness? Was there any light behind you that might have reflected off the clouds (i.e. street lighting or even the moon behind you giving very minimal front lighting)?

Sorry to be asking but I'm never remotely awake to be taking photos at that sort of hour...
  • Options
    Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Internaut wrote:
    Nice exposure and very very interesting to stare at.

Given the aperture and exposure time recorded in the EXIF (sorry, couldn't resist being nosy), I take it you were in near total darkness? Was there any light behind you that might have reflected off the clouds (i.e. street lighting or even the moon behind you giving very minimal front lighting)?

Sorry to be asking but I'm never remotely awake to be taking photos at that sort of hour...

I took this shot at 3:11pm est. It was broad daylight. I used a 10-stop ND filter which when you look at it is essentially completely black. You can't compose the shot with the filter on because when you look through the viewfinder.....all you see is dead black.......you might as well have the lens cap on. I compose the shot and then screw the filter on and take the long exposure.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    Hi Tom,

Sorry for the silly questions.... The is showing this on my laptop:

Date and Time (Original): 2008:01:28 03:11:35

It could be Flickr correcting to my time zone but you might want to check the date/time on your camera body....

In any event, a very nice exposure and clever use of the filter.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    Internaut wrote:
    Hi Tom,

Sorry for the silly questions.... The is showing this on my laptop:

Date and Time (Original): 2008:01:28 03:11:35

It could be Flickr correcting to my time zone but you might want to check the date/time on your camera body....

In any event, a very nice exposure and clever use of the filter.

Correct. January 28th 2008 at 3:11pm Eastern standard time.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    Thanks for confirming I'm not going mad (I'm just a European thinking in terms oft the 24 hour clock).
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    which filter?
    I have a 3 stop tiffen ND filter, which with polarizer on will give me total of 5 stops of downshifting.
    Which 10-stop filter do you use. I couldn't find any such extreme filters anywhere!
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    tsk1979 wrote:
    I have a 3 stop tiffen ND filter, which with polarizer on will give me total of 5 stops of downshifting.
    Which 10-stop filter do you use. I couldn't find any such extreme filters anywhere!

http://www.adorama.com/BW77ND1X.html
  • Options
    300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Very nice picture Tom. I too was thinking 1500 on the time :)
    I like the shot
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    I've been experimenting with a pair of ND 2.0 82mm Heliopan filters making the effective ND 4.0 exposure. The problem I run into with doing that is that even in the brightest day, you can expect exposures to take over 60 seconds. Try metering that! eek7.gif
    Plus, the color shifting that occurs, the noise created by the sensor, and the fact that you need an extremely balanced tripod, and the fact that it takes AS LONG to process the image in camera as it was to take it, and you've discovered why long-exposures are such a pain!!!

On the other hand, results like that show exactly why its a labor of love thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Nice shot!

I hope you don't take this wrong (as in I'm not denigrating a great shot), but it would make a fantastic desktop. I love b/w desktops (neutral) and easy on the eyes. Pretty to look at without being overly distracting.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    Pezpix wrote:
    I've been experimenting with a pair of ND 2.0 82mm Heliopan filters making the effective ND 4.0 exposure. The problem I run into with doing that is that even in the brightest day, you can expect exposures to take over 60 seconds. Try metering that! eek7.gif
    Plus, the color shifting that occurs, the noise created by the sensor, and the fact that you need an extremely balanced tripod, and the fact that it takes AS LONG to process the image in camera as it was to take it, and you've discovered why long-exposures are such a pain!!!

On the other hand, results like that show exactly why its a labor of love thumb.gif

I couldn't agree more. The long exposures are a pain in the neck to shoot. Tough to get the exposure just right and the waiting can be a problem as well. I love the effect they can produce......but......the patience involved is significant.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nice shot!

I hope you don't take this wrong (as in I'm not denigrating a great shot), but it would make a fantastic desktop. I love b/w desktops (neutral) and easy on the eyes. Pretty to look at without being overly distracting.

I have been reading your posts for a few years now DavidTO and have tremendous respect for your abilities in photography and post processing. I take what you said as an honor and am quite flattered that you enjoy the photo.
    -Tom K.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Tom K. wrote:
    I have been reading your posts for a few years now DavidTO and have tremendous respect for your abilities in photography and post processing. I take what you said as an honor and am quite flattered that you enjoy the photo.
    -Tom K.

You're friggin' nuts, but thank you.

I was just thinking "nice desktop" is kind of like calling Citizen Kane a great way to stay busy on the airplane. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    BeamCatcherBeamCatcher Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Bloody cool stuff!
    I have to admit that I had almost given up doing similar on digital, but you lifter my spirits again! ;-) Very cool...AND.... even cooler of you to share with the rest of us how, what etc... Cheers! Ivar clap.gif
    Canon 7D
    Canon 16-35mm f2.8 II
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
    Canon Speedlite 550EX

http://www.beamcatcher.com/layout/Pictures.html
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Very, very good. The kind of photography I really enjoy, thank you for posting this! Reminds me of the work of David Fokos (if you don't mind comparisons)[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]