Big changes to SmugMug's privacy and security released

2

Comments

  • AntonyAntony Beginner grinner Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 8, 2008
    I have some unlisted galleries because I do not want the galleries to show on my galleries page - but I do want them to be available to anyone. I would be very unhappy if I couldn't combine unlisted with leaving 'hello smuggers' and 'hello world' set to yes.

    Allowing the gallery owner to combine the options in a way that makes sense for him or her makes the most sense (at least to me). I want maximum flexibility, and the current behavior continues to give me the flexibility that I need.

    --- Denise

    I see - that seems reasonable that hello world / hello smugglers would still be available. Given that this whole thing started because of unclear meaning around the meaning of privacy settings, my vote would still be for 'unlisted' to default to No for hello world / hello smugglers since that matches what I think an average person would think when mousing over the question mark when creating a gallery, which says:
    "Unlisted galleries can be viewed only by those who know the address. You'll have to invite your fans to see how amazing you are. Unlisting a gallery does not make it secure, only hidden and hard to find."
    Someone being able to find my gallery via google or smugmug search seems like it runs counter to being "hidden and hard to find".

    (An alternative idea: perhaps rename 'unlisted' to 'not shown on galleries page'?)
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    arpboy wrote:
    Guys:

    The shift has broken my homepage slideshow (photos.RichardBerry.org) - I had it displaying the most popular photos. Has anyone else seen this?

    -Richard
    Hi Richard, we've stopped supporting that old javascript slideshow 4 months ago - the new hotness is the Shizam Flash Slideshow, details here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=73247

    Post in that thread if you have any questions about it, okay?
  • jfriendjfriend Scripting dude-volunteer Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Antony wrote:
    Thanks smugmug for a good response to a tricky situation. I do have one comment though.

    I was surprised that the 'unlisted' setting doesn't also turn off 'hello world!' and 'hello smuggers!'. It seems like if people using google or smugmug search can find my photos, they aren't really unlisted.

    Or does unlisted do that, and it's just not clear in the Customize gallery UI? If that's the case, perhaps when you click on unlisted, it should disable the 'Yes' choice of the radio buttons for both 'hello world!' and 'hello smuggers'.

    I can't speak for the Hello Smuggers feature, but for Hello World if a given gallery is unlisted, it won't appear in your home page. So, unless you link it elsewhere on the internet, there's no way for a non-Smugmug search engine to every know about it and index it. You could, of course, link it elsewhere and maybe a search engine would find it. But, unless you do that, you should not expect Google to know about an unlisted gallery. There's no way for it to be found by their crawler.

    So, Hello World won't really do anything for you on an unlisted gallery unless you link it somewhere else that a search engine will find.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • sdunbarsdunbar . Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    I have released a temporary patch for the Lightroom uploader, see my post here.

    It works great, of course :-)

    Thanks for the quick response!

    I had put a comment in Jeffrey's blog that I submitted a post here. Should I update the comment with a link to this forum, or just wait for Jeffrey to announce a new release?

    I didn't want to post a link to this temp version unless you are cool w/ it...
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    sdunbar wrote:
    It works great, of course :-)

    Thanks for the quick response!

    I had put a comment in Jeffrey's blog that I submitted a post here. Should I update the comment with a link to this forum, or just wait for Jeffrey to announce a new release?

    I didn't want to post a link to this temp version unless you are cool w/ it...
    I'm sure Jeffrey knows, since Dev emailed him :)
    By all means, post a link to this thread, thanks!
  • AntonyAntony Beginner grinner Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 8, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I can't speak for the Hello Smuggers feature, but for Hello World if a given gallery is unlisted, it won't appear in your home page. So, unless you link it elsewhere on the internet, there's no way for a non-Smugmug search engine to every know about it and index it. You could, of course, link it elsewhere and maybe a search engine would fine it. But, unless you do that, you should not expect Google to know about an unlisted gallery. There's no way for it to be found by the crawler.

    So, Hello World won't really do anything for you on an unlisted gallery unless you link it somewhere else that a search engine will find.

    Good points. I guess one way I could imagine links getting into crawler queues would be if friends or family using the Yahoo/Google/MSN toolbar or Yahoo Mail/Gmail/Hotmail visited links I sent them to my photos. I don't know if the search companies actually do this or not, but wouldn't be surprised if they do.

    Of course in the end it's not a big deal, since I had forgotten about the fact that I set my site's SmugIslands pref to have hello world set to no, so my nickname.smugmug.com/robots.txt file disallows access to all of my photos to all (well-behaved) crawlers.
  • tonydtonyd Major grins Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Richard, we've stopped supporting that old javascript slideshow 4 months ago - the new hotness is the Shizam Flash Slideshow, details here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=73247

    Post in that thread if you have any questions about it, okay?

    I have been using the javascript slideshow also. Would this be what has also completely broken my galleries when using firefox (but not ie)? In firefox I can nolonger choose the gallery view - they are all stuck in slideshow mode.

    (reading about the flash slideshow now, hoping I can easily replace what I've had...)
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    tonyd wrote:
    I have been using the javascript slideshow also. Would this be what has also completely broken my galleries when using firefox (but not ie)? In firefox I can nolonger choose the gallery view - they are all stuck in slideshow mode.

    (reading about the flash slideshow now, hoping I can easily replace what I've had...)
    That's an unfortunate side effect of the olde slideshow, Tony. Put up the new one (it's easy) and then your problem will be solved :)
  • AllenAllen "tweak 'til it squeaks" St. Louis, MoRegistered Users Posts: 9,941 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    tonyd wrote:
    I have been using the javascript slideshow also. Would this be what has also completely broken my galleries when using firefox (but not ie)? In firefox I can nolonger choose the gallery view - they are all stuck in slideshow mode.

    (reading about the flash slideshow now, hoping I can easily replace what I've had...)
    Delete the Smugmug cookies when this happens, stuck in slideshow or another
    style.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • arpboyarpboy Big grins Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Richard, we've stopped supporting that old javascript slideshow 4 months ago - the new hotness is the Shizam Flash Slideshow, details here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=73247

    Post in that thread if you have any questions about it, okay?

    Andy, sounds great. I hadn't looked lately, but that slideshow looks a lot nicer than what I was using. I'll implement the new one this weekend.

    Thanks!
  • jerryrjerryr Smugmug Customization Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Hi :
    I use the following 'hack' to create a 'return to thumbnails link' to return the galleries thumbnails view - which appears on the .photoNav divison.

    function fixPhotoNav()
    {
    oPhotoNav = YD.getElementsByClassName("photoNav", "div");
    for (i=0; i < oPhotoNav.length; i++)
    {
    re = /gallery\/([\d]+)\//;
    oTitle = YD.getElementsByClassName("title", "span", oPhotoNav);
    if (re.test(window.location))
    oTitle[0].innerHTML = "| " + oTitle[0].innerHTML + " |";
    re.exec(window.location);
    oPhotoNav.innerHTML = oPhotoNav.innerHTML + "<span ><a href=\"/gallery/" + RegExp.$1 + "\">return to album thumbnails</a></span>";
    }
    }

    It does not work - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) jerryr
  • devbobodevbobo LR whisperer Melbourne, AURegistered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 9, 2008
    jerryr wrote:
    Hi :
    I use the following 'hack' to create a 'return to thumbnails link' to return the galleries thumbnails view - which appears on the .photoNav divison.

    function fixPhotoNav()
    {
    oPhotoNav = YD.getElementsByClassName("photoNav", "div");
    for (i=0; i < oPhotoNav.length; i++)
    {
    re = /gallery\/([\d]+)\//;
    oTitle = YD.getElementsByClassName("title", "span", oPhotoNav);
    if (re.test(window.location))
    oTitle[0].innerHTML = "| " + oTitle[0].innerHTML + " |";
    re.exec(window.location);
    oPhotoNav.innerHTML = oPhotoNav.innerHTML + "return to album thumbnails";
    }
    }

    It does not work - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) jerryr

    Jerry,

    You will probably need to test this cuz I haven't :D

    But I believe a modified, regular expression as below should work...

    re = /gallery\/([\d]+)(_(\w+))?\//;

    Cheers,

    David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Just a Guy with a Camera Illinois USARegistered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Dev, can you please help me update these 2 hack you built for me?
    /*===================================================================*/
    /*== Return to Thumb (Single Image Search by Keyword Results Page) ==*/
    /*===================================================================*/
    function fixPhotoNav2()
    {
      oPhotoNav = YD.getElementsByClassName("photoNav", "div");
    
      for (i=0; i < oPhotoNav.length; i++)
      {
        re = /keyword\/([\w\%]+)\//;
        oTitle = YD.getElementsByClassName("title", "span", oPhotoNav[i]);
        if (re.test(window.location)) {
          oTitle[0].innerHTML = "|&nbsp;" + oTitle[0].innerHTML + "&nbsp;|";
          re.exec(window.location);
          oPhotoNav[i].innerHTML = oPhotoNav[i].innerHTML + "<span ><a href='/keyword/" + RegExp.$1 + "'>Return to Results Page</a></span>";
        }
      }
    }
    
    
    /*================================================================*/
    /*== Return to Thumb (Single Image Search by Date Results Page) ==*/
    /*================================================================*/
    function fixPhotoNav3()
    {
      oPhotoNav = YD.getElementsByClassName("photoNav", "div");
    
      for (i=0; i < oPhotoNav.length; i++)
      {
        re = /date\/([\d\-]+)\/([\d\-]+)/;
        oTitle = YD.getElementsByClassName("title", "span", oPhotoNav[i]);
        if (re.test(window.location)) {
          oTitle[0].innerHTML = "|&nbsp;" + oTitle[0].innerHTML + "&nbsp;|";
          re.exec(window.location);
          oPhotoNav[i].innerHTML = oPhotoNav[i].innerHTML + "<span ><a href='/date/" + RegExp.$1 + "/" + RegExp.$2 + "'>Return to Results Page</a></span>";
        }
      }
    }
    
    
  • jerryrjerryr Smugmug Customization Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Just a Guy with a Camera Illinois USARegistered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    Jerry,

    You will probably need to test this cuz I haven't :D

    But I believe a modified, regular expression as below should work...

    re = /gallery\/([\d]+)(_(\w+))?\//;

    Cheers,

    David

    SorryDev. I jumped to the conclusion that the above mentionsed hacks would be broken too, but they seem to uneffected... I guess they don't look for actually galleries, so they'd be uneffected by the new change...
    Thanks for the other fix though... works great now...

    Just another reason some of these hacks should become actulal features...
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Just a Guy with a Camera Illinois USARegistered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    OK, Now we have BIG troubles... seems bulk zoom thumbnail hack is busted due to new hottness.... This is VERY bad.... I thought this might be the case so I tried to zoom an "old" gallery. It has originals enabled, but BZT returns the error that originals are NOT enabled... I've got tons of work to do and need this one ASAP... Thanks for all you do guys.... Antoher vote (I guess it's my own poll) for SM taking over some of these awesome hacks and making them SM features...
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    OK, Now we have BIG troubles... seems bulk zoom thumbnail hack
    I posted that that hack is presently not working, yesterday, after the release - in the BZT hack thread.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=746794#post746794
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Just a Guy with a Camera Illinois USARegistered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I posted that that hack is presently not working, yesterday, after the release - in the BZT hack thread.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=746794#post746794
    Sorry, been working 18 hour days w/ school and photo shoot stuff...
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Sorry, been working 18 hour days w/ school and photo shoot stuff...
    NP just wanted you (and all) to know that Dev's aware, and if it can be modified, he'll do it.
  • DJKennedyDJKennedy Photo Enthusiast Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Devbo:
    As per Andys request to post this here:

    Yesterday I've noticed that my Recent Photos Gallery hack (link off of my navbar) no longer works. Using FF2 gives me server cant be found, IE7 gives me page can not be displayed, and FF leaves a URL in the addy bar of .smugmug.com although at least IE shows the proper URL.

    I never made any changes at all, so I'm assuming that SM made a change at some point (from my email from Andy: Hi Derek,
    It's likely to do with the new SmuKeys that are being used.)

    Did you guys make a change that I'm not aware of, should I for now remove that link from my navbar? (I hate broken links on a page!)

    Derek
    http://www.djkennedy.com

    What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

  • tonydtonyd Major grins Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Delete the Smugmug cookies when this happens, stuck in slideshow or another
    style.
    Thanks for the tip. I've already switched to the new slideshow. It's not actually working yet. Already posted in the slideshow thread asking about what I have done wrong...
  • ivarivar I'd be happy with a cookie Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    tonyd wrote:
    Thanks for the tip. I've already switched to the new slideshow. It's not actually working yet. Already posted in the slideshow thread asking about what I have done wrong...
    --> me having a look in the slideshow thread :D
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Temperamental Irishwoman South Puget Sound, WARegistered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Please update the "posting a photo on DGrin" thread to reflect this change. I have yet to figure it out with the new system. All my galleries have right-click protection on and LB disabled, so those solutions aren't going to work for me. I loved being able to copy the link and just replace "gallery"" with "photos" to get the image to show.

    What's the cut-and-paste version of posting images with the new URLs? I tried copying the link from my gallery, replacing "gallery" with "photos," deleting the gallery number, and then moving the underscore and five-digit code to behind the photo number, and appending "-L.jpg." Didn't work. I'm stumped. headscratch.gif
  • kwalshkwalsh Major grins Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Moving Grandfathered Galleries???
    Quick question, I understand that grandfathered photos in grandfathered galleries will still have their old links work. I'm assuming based on the way gallery URLs are formed that this will still work even if I change a gallery's category or sub-category? Put another way, I can move grandfathered galleries around my site and they'll stay grandfathered with old links working?

    Thanks,

    Ken
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    kwalsh wrote:
    Quick question, I understand that grandfathered photos in grandfathered galleries will still have their old links work. I'm assuming based on the way gallery URLs are formed that this will still work even if I change a gallery's category or sub-category? Put another way, I can move grandfathered galleries around my site and they'll stay grandfathered with old links working?

    Thanks,

    Ken
    Yes, that's fine.
  • DonMBDonMB Big grins Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Try this...
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Please update the "posting a photo on DGrin" thread to reflect this change. I have yet to figure it out with the new system. All my galleries have right-click protection on and LB disabled, so those solutions aren't going to work for me. I loved being able to copy the link and just replace "gallery"" with "photos" to get the image to show.

    What's the cut-and-paste version of posting images with the new URLs? I tried copying the link from my gallery, replacing "gallery" with "photos," deleting the gallery number, and then moving the underscore and five-digit code to behind the photo number, and appending "-L.jpg." Didn't work. I'm stumped. headscratch.gif

    I'm in the same situation, but I figured out how to do it. Bring up a photo in the light box and you'll see a URL like this:

    http://www.pixelartifacts.com/gallery/4201785_AYPQy#245572011_cvomi-A-LB

    Change 'gallery' to 'photos'. Delete the gallery number (e.g 4201785_AYPQy). Delete the extra # sign. Change the -A-LB after the photo number to -L.jpg and you get this, which works.

    http://www.pixelartifacts.com/photos/245572011_cvomi-L.jpg
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MASuper Moderators Posts: 13,512 moderator
    edited February 9, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Please update the "posting a photo on DGrin" thread to reflect this change. I have yet to figure it out with the new system. All my galleries have right-click protection on and LB disabled, so those solutions aren't going to work for me. I loved being able to copy the link and just replace "gallery"" with "photos" to get the image to show.

    What's the cut-and-paste version of posting images with the new URLs? I tried copying the link from my gallery, replacing "gallery" with "photos," deleting the gallery number, and then moving the underscore and five-digit code to behind the photo number, and appending "-L.jpg." Didn't work. I'm stumped. headscratch.gif
    I have the share button enabled when I'm logged in, which gives me access to the page of links to just copy. In case you're interested, here's the CSS that I use:
    #altViews.nav,    
    .share_button
      {
        display: none;
    }
    .loggedIn #altViews.nav,    
    .loggedIn .share_button
      {
        display: block;
    }
    
    --- Denise
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Just a Guy with a Camera Illinois USARegistered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    SendtoSmugmug works as far as the uploading, but once done the re-direct to the uploaded gallery seems to be b0rked... Is this a result of the new hottness?
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    SendtoSmugmug works as far as the uploading, but once done the re-direct to the uploaded gallery seems to be b0rked... Is this a result of the new hottness?
    Could be. Dev will ck with Omar.
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Just a Guy with a Camera Illinois USARegistered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Could be. Dev will ck with Omar.
    Thanks...
Sign In or Register to comment.