Reverse Macro question

smallmsmallm Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited June 10, 2008 in Holy Macro
I have a Canon XTI with 100mm Macro. What would I need to try reverse Macro. I do know I probably require 58mm for 100 but not sure what size needed for camera end.
Thanks for any replies.
Mel.

Comments

• photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    smallm wrote:
    I have a Canon XTI with 100mm Macro. What would I need to try reverse Macro. I do know I probably require 58mm for 100 but not sure what size needed for camera end.
    Thanks for any replies.
    Mel.

1. remove lens from camera
    2. reverse lens
    3. hold lens to camera - I use large rubber bands to hold in place
    4. snap away
  • OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    You can buy threaded adaptor rings to secure one lense to another (front-to-front) from Ebay. I have one that allows me to mount a reversed 50mm to an on-camera 28-70mm. I did see some web material on the in's and out's of lens selection for reverse macro, but can't recall at the moment headscratch.gif
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    I'm curious though. Why would you want to reverse your macro lens? I'm not arguing, just asking. When using a lens in reverse orientation, don't you set the focus to infinity for best performance. I don't know you'd gain anything reversing that awesome lensne_nau.gif .

You give up so much when you decouple the lens from the camera. Unless you did it this way! But $480's a lot to pay for a reversing ring,
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • TomTom Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    You can buy threaded adaptor rings to secure one lense to another (front-to-front) from Ebay. I have one that allows me to mount a reversed 50mm to an on-camera 28-70mm. I did see some web material on the in's and out's of lens selection for reverse macro, but can't recall at the moment headscratch.gif
    Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but does anyone know a source for these reverse threaded adapters? All the ones I've found on eBay seem to mount a lens backwards directly to a body. Maybe I'm searching for the wrong key words or something.

I'd like a male-to-male step down filter adapter. It will be used to mount a 52mm filter-sized lens backwards onto a 58mm filter-sized lens. (I know these can be made from scratch with step up/down rings and a bit of epoxy, but a solid ready-made one would be better.)

Just got back into the hobby with a new Rebel XSi. So I dug up my old 80's camera gear and rediscovered a 50mm 1.4 and a macro focusing rail. :D
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Tom wrote:
    Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but does anyone know a source for these reverse threaded adapters? All the ones I've found on eBay seem to mount a lens backwards directly to a body. Maybe I'm searching for the wrong key words or something.

I'd like a male-to-male step down filter adapter. It will be used to mount a 52mm filter-sized lens backwards onto a 58mm filter-sized lens. (I know these can be made from scratch with step up/down rings and a bit of epoxy, but a solid ready-made one would be better.)

Just got back into the hobby with a new Rebel XSi. So I dug up my old 80's camera gear and rediscovered a 50mm 1.4 and a macro focusing rail. :D

They are normally called reverse macro couplers - eg like these on ebay http://stores.ebay.com/Camera-Ace-Photographic-Accessories_Stepping-Rings_Macro-Coupler-Rings_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ3QQftidZ2QQtZkm
  • TomTom Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Thanks very much! That item is exactly what I'm looking for.