Some sandboarding shots

nedlA kraMnedlA kraM Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited February 15, 2008 in Sports
These are just a few shots from a day of sandboarding with mates. It was one of my first times out shooting with my first dslr (nikon d40) so the hands are cut off on a couple as I was still trying to figure out my distances...C and C always welcome

arms cut off but I love the pose
083.jpg

swimming through the air
085.jpg

nice path of sand left behind
086.jpg

muckin around
087-Copy.jpg

slippery foot strap
088.jpg

got all the arm but not as good of a contrast without the pink shorts
094.jpg

perfect form
110.jpg

huge air
116.jpg

Thanks for looking....Mark
Life only happens once....so capture it

Comments

• nedlA kraMnedlA kraM Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2008
  • JSJR4JSJR4 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    cool shots. never seen this before
    Nikon & Nikon Lenses
    www.dgrin.com
    www.pixelperfectforum.com
    MacBook Pro
  • PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    That looks like a lot of fun! Great shotsthumb.gif, but maybe get somre different angles next time?ne_nau.gif
    edited February 12, 2008
    Cheers, yea it is great fun, the sand rides a lot like snow does except the falls hurt quite a bit more mwink.gif

The spot where we go has very limited areas to shoot from so good angles are hard to come by without getting a bucket load of sand in the camera!!! Next time I'm gonna dig myself a little shooters pit so I should get some good shots from it.

Thanks for the comments ~Mark
    edited February 13, 2008
    If you're going to make a shooting area for yourself and plan on shooting the same shots of different guys you might want to try focusing on the spot you expect them to be at. Instead of autofocusing on every shot. Although ps makes it less noticeable, some of the shots caught the bush in the background in focus. Were you using AI Servo...erm... I mean continuous?
    edited February 13, 2008
    Paulcao wrote:
    If you're going to make a shooting area for yourself and plan on shooting the same shots of different guys you might want to try focusing on the spot you expect them to be at. Instead of autofocusing on every shot. Although ps makes it less noticeable, some of the shots caught the bush in the background in focus. Were you using AI Servo...erm... I mean continuous?

Yea I was using continuous, I had noticed what you are saying and my excuse is that it was my first time shooting with my first dslr mwink.gif I was thinking next time that taking it down a couple of f/stops would help as well, yea?

Hopefully ill have some new shots soon but we've had bad weather and the sands been wet as buggery!!! and wet sand = no slide.

Cheers for your help~Mark
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    im really digging that blown highlights idea! brings a bit of 80ies feeling into it rolleyes1.gif

nice shots, especially for fist time thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
    edited February 14, 2008
    nedlA kraM wrote:
    Yea I was using continuous, I had noticed what you are saying and my excuse is that it was my first time shooting with my first dslr mwink.gif I was thinking next time that taking it down a couple of f/stops would help as well, yea?

Hopefully ill have some new shots soon but we've had bad weather and the sands been wet as buggery!!! and wet sand = no slide.

Cheers for your help~Mark

Personally I stay away from the aiservo or continuous when using consumer level cameras. I don't know much about Nikon, but I think the D40 is the standard consumer one...Like with mine if I have my 30D-- I'd be less inclined to use AIservo(continueous) than if I had the 1Ds Mark II. Also if you want to stop it down some you have more margin of error. You get less light, but I doubt that'd be a problem. Anyways, still looks like great fun. I'd want to try it. I've been on every other sort of board (snow, wake, skate). I don't know if there's a place around here to do it. I'm in California and I don't remember seeing any beaches with steep enough sand declines.
  • prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    oh that looks like fun!! i'm a big fan of snowboarding.iloveyou.gif
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Cool shots. We used to ride the dunes in Oregon, before it was cool, but we just held on till the bottom...no big air here. I like those guys in Cali that ride the scree fields. I bet one day you'll be able to ride a lift for a good sand run...maybe.
    Growing with Dgrin