Be Glad we have B&H

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited February 11, 2008 in Cameras
Was traveling in Europe last week and saw this in the store window:

252235075_bfmp4-L.jpg

That's the new G9 and if you convert the exchange rate its almost $900!!!

B&H price: about $425........

Does anyone wonder why all our international friends ask if B&H shipps worldwide?

You could fly to NYC, buy all your gear and save more than the plane ticket.

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• kejagokejago Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Yip, we get hammered in Europe. My G9 cost the equivalent €450 / US $ 650 in Switzerland, and Switzerland is reasonable price wise for camera gear in Europe.

Yip, when I eventually shop for my DSLR, I may consider a "holiday" to the US.

The only thing that worries me is the so called "Internation" warranty. From posts I have read here, Nikon will not honour their warrant for cameras baught int he US, but needing repairs in Europe.

I wonder how good Canon are with their warranty?

Dreaming of that 5D some day, which would cost me the equavalant of US$ 3000 here in Switzerland. :cry
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    The dollar is worth almost 1.65 Euro. ouch. There goes my thoughts to go to Europe this Summer. :cry
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    The dollar is worth almost 1.65 Euro. ouch. There goes my thoughts to go to Europe this Summer. :cry

Errr... try South America. eek7.gif

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ve/MLV-7905500-canon-g9-ultimo-modelo-12-mp-6x-zoom-_JM

Electronics' price are... out of control headscratch.gif

The equivalent in US $ would be 1,395. :nono
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Does anyone wonder why all our international friends ask if B&H shipps worldwide? You could fly to NYC, buy all your gear and save more than the plane ticket.

Thanks! People do fly in, buy all their gear and chalk the savings up to a "free" vacation trip. Whether you fly in or shop online, we're always happy to help.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    I'm a UK national working for a US company and many of us get the odd business trip to HQ. Most of us arrive here with our suitcases empty (or with no suitcase if we need new luggage) and go home with our suitcases full. The weak dollar works very much to our advantage. I've bought two bodies and four lenses in the last six months (and still thinking about buying a G9 before I leave).
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    I am SO glad that I have B&H -- almost as glad as they are to have had me over the past year! rolleyes1.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    I'm glad I don't have to fly to N.Y. to go there. Just hop on a 15 minute train ride. :D
    I hear we are even starting to accept Euro's in NYC for the first time in U.S. history.
    Keep on coming! mwink.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited February 10, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I'm glad I don't have to fly to N.Y. to go there. Just hop on a 15 minute train ride. :D
    I hear we are even starting to accept Euro's in NYC for the first time in U.S. history.
    Keep on coming! mwink.gif
    I'm surmising that you live in a dollar-denominated economic environment (hard not to in the NYC area), so that won't help you one iota.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    To a degree tourist will help me. I live in NYC. Tourism is great for business and economy and exposure and just meeting new people to photograph and talk about photography with. So yeah it does help.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 10, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:

That's the new G9 and if you convert the exchange rate its almost $900!!!

B&H price: about $425........

Does anyone wonder why all our international friends ask if B&H shipps worldwide?

You could fly to NYC, buy all your gear and save more than the plane ticket.

Z
    It's the same here in Australia, where the USD is still stronger. A G9 goes for minimum $800AU = $720US. Which is especially strange to me since Oz is essentially in Asia, and the prices in Hong Kong and Japan on photo gear are the lowest in the world (home market).

Let's just say the Hong Kong based eBay stores do an amazing amount of business down here.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited February 10, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I live in NYC. Tourism is great for business and economy and exposure and just meeting new people to photograph and talk about photography with. So yeah it does help.
    Yes I know where Harlem is, I live 15 miles north. From a shooter's perspective, I appreciate what you are saying, but in all other respects, the US$ being on its a** is not a good thing - including that if you are looking to buy gear, whatever brand(s) you shoot, I'm pretty sure it's NOT "made in the U.S.A."
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    The worrying aspect of the $ situation is that it doesn't seem to be reducing imports and stimulating US business to produce more.... That surprised me. I suspect it has to go a lot lower (and eventually cause a lot more pain to everyone in the developed world) before it makes a real comeback.

Still, take comfort: A roll of $50 bills is still the lingua franca of bribing officials in many parts of Africa so in this respect, the $ is still the world's reserve currency.
    edited February 10, 2008
    Internaut wrote:
    The worrying aspect of the $ situation is that it doesn't seem to be reducing imports and stimulating US business to produce more.... That surprised me. I suspect it has to go a lot lower (and eventually cause a lot more pain to everyone in the developed world) before it makes a real comeback.

Still, take comfort: A roll of $50 bills is still the lingua franca of bribing officials in many parts of Africa so in this respect, the $ is still the world's reserve currency.
    As to your first paragraph, I think one needs to anticipate a significant lagging effect - 12 months minimum, so stay tuned (although in NYC, everything including real estate has already been buoyed by foreign investment).

Paragraph 2: Yes, we (Americans, that is at least) would rue the day that the USD is not the world's reserve currency. Not unforeseeable, for the first time ever, but regrettable nevertheless should it happen. Personally, I think we will be OK in that regard.
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008

Ted, it's actually the other way around (1 Euro = 1.6 USD). We'd all be going to Europe if a dollar were worth more than a Euro.:cry :cry :cry

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    [OT]: You Are What You Spend
    Internaut wrote:

There's an op-ed piece in the NYTimes of Feb 10th titled "You Are What You Spend" by two chaps from the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. They posit that increased internat'l trade (driven in part by the state of the dollar) lowers prices and increases the ability of the poor and working class to buy hard goods. Prices are also lowered for items imported by US companies allowing them to set lower selling prices too.

I won't synopsize the whole piece here, but it's worth reading.

MY PERSONAL OPINION
    - Henry
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    Ted, it's actually the other way around (1 Euro = 1.6 USD). We'd all be going to Europe if a dollar were worth more than a Euro.:cry :cry :cry

Cuong

oh .... oops. I meant 1 euro = 1.6 USD. :crybowdown.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • JohnnyJrJohnnyJr Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    ...which is good news since eventually we'll all be working at Walmart because we don't make things here anymore we just import them. NOT that i'm complaining about all my imported gear bought from B&H.

And hey, where's my stimulus check? I need some new glass and want my free money. Can I get that in Euro please??
    henryp wrote:
    There's an op-ed piece in the NYTimes of Feb 10th titled "You Are What You Spend" by two chaps from the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. They posit that increased internat'l trade (driven in part by the state of the dollar) lowers prices and increases the ability of the poor and working class to buy hard goods. Prices are also lowered for items imported by US companies allowing them to set lower selling prices too.

I won't synposize the whole piece here, but it's worth reading.

MY PERSONAL OPINION
    - Henry
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it.

http://www.sissonphotography.com
    www.flickr.com/photos/sissonphotography
    http://sissonphotography.blogspot.com/
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    JohnnyJr wrote:
    ...which is good news since eventually we'll all be working at Walmart because we don't make things here anymore we just import them. NOT that i'm complaining about all my imported gear bought from B&H.

And hey, where's my stimulus check? I need some new glass and want my free money. Can I get that in Euro please??

rolleyes1.gif So I guess I'll have to head out to my company's production floor and tell everyone there that they are just imagining coming in every day and manufacturing product. :D

Yeah, I know where you're going with that, a lot of goods formerly made here are now made in China, India, or any other third-world country with near-free labor. I think all the recent recalls on Chinese products are giving us a glimpse of the wisdom of that decision. ne_nau.gif
  • JohnnyJrJohnnyJr Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Seriously, I'm really glad that we still have manufactirung here -- it just seems like we've lost so much of that in our economy. Awesome that there's a 'Made by Claudermilk, Inc.' label out there!
    thumb.gif
    rolleyes1.gif So I guess I'll have to head out to my company's production floor and tell everyone there that they are just imagining coming in every day and manufacturing product. :D

Yeah, I know where you're going with that, a lot of goods formerly made here are now made in China, India, or any other third-world country with near-free labor. I think all the recent recalls on Chinese products are giving us a glimpse of the wisdom of that decision. ne_nau.gif
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it.

http://www.sissonphotography.com
    www.flickr.com/photos/sissonphotography
    http://sissonphotography.blogspot.com/