Options

Technique for best autofocus results

bigsnowdogbigsnowdog Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited February 11, 2008 in Technique
I am a relative newcomer to autofocus. Essentially I have come from manual focus, film photography [Canon T90, since 1987] to autofocus ditigal with the Canon 40D. As an aside, I had previously a Canon G5, though I found its focusing ability to be unreliable.

What methods you use to achieve best focusing results?

How do you evaluate your focusing results in the produced image?

To what degree are you choosing to manipulate aperture as you consider your focusing?

How are you using the visible focusing points?

I suspect I don't have enough experience with this camera yet to ask the most focused questions, but I hope that much useful information can come from this thread.

Comments

• Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Essentially AF is like a computer - fast and stupid - it really doesn't have a clue where the focus should be (that's why I put the focus on the * button). If only I could have a micro-grid or ground glass again.

I most often use Av so DOF can be controlled, but most of my subjects don't move too much so shutter speed isn't the determining factor.

I seldom (never) use multiple focus points - I feel this gives the camera too much control for its intelligence level.rolleyes1.gif

As much as possible (exclusively on closeup work), I use the same techniques I used with my last "real" cameras - Pentax S and Canon A-1 (both manual focus). I carefully adjust the diopter wheel to make the black squares as crisp as possible, turn AF off, and (while on a tripod) carefully adjust the focusing ring to achieve focus on the part(s) of the image that I want to accentuate.

For more distant objects, I resort to AF, but with the focus on the * button, I can focus on something that's "at the right distance", and re-compose the image. However I must always be aware of the "focus-recompose" inaccuracies.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    DaveKDaveK Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    I turn off the multi-point focus as well and only use a single point, normally center so it is easy to find. Pick the point I want in focus, click shutter part way, recompose and take the shot.

When taking photos of people I always aim for the eye as that is where I want the sharpest focus.

I have a hard time seeing if what I am getting is really in focus if I go manual. Especially if working under a time pressure and trying to capture candid images.

I always adjust apeture based on enviromental needs but also know with each of my lenses there is a sweet spot for sharpest focus. When possible and where focus is critical I work my settings to keep in that apeture range. This will vary some with each lens so you need to know your lenses.
    Dave Keith
    "Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take photographs." -- Helmut Newton
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    I shot with a T90 for a long time and only replaced it with an EOS-3 in 2002. Now I shoot with a 5D.

Focusing strategy depends a lot on what you are shooting and I do use different techniques in different circumstances. That said, for most of my shooting move the the focus to the * button (a C.F. on the 5D) and leave only the center point enabled. As a rule, I only let the camera make decisions for me when I know I won't have time to make those decisions myself (that includes focus and exposure).
  • Options
    bigsnowdogbigsnowdog Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I shot with a T90 for a long time and only replaced it with an EOS-3 in 2002. Now I shoot with a 5D.

Focusing strategy depends a lot on what you are shooting and I do use different techniques in different circumstances. That said, for most of my shooting move the the focus to the * button (a C.F. on the 5D) and leave only the center point enabled. As a rule, I only let the camera make decisions for me when I know I won't have time to make those decisions myself (that includes focus and exposure).

I don't know what you are meaning by this button remark.... would you explain that?
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    bigsnowdog wrote:
    I don't know what you are meaning by this button remark.... would you explain that?

I don't have the 40D manual, but in the Custom Functions, there is a setting wherein the focus can be assigned to the "star" button (*) on the back. It will be under your right thumb as you hold the camera.

By using this setup, when the shutter button is half-pressed (the "normal" focus method), the focus will not change - it is controlled by the * button. Thus the shutter button is only used to release the shutter and doesn't control the focus.

At first it may be a bit awkward, but I would estimate that 99 percent of people that try this method, stay with it.

One of the advantages is that when using AI Servo, one can hold the * button down to track a moving subject and trigger the shutter when desired with the index finger. The exposure reading is only taken when the shutter button is depressed.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    bigsnowdog wrote:

On the 5D, the function is C.Fn-04 Shutter/AE Lock and the setting I use is AE Lock/AF. The funcution number is likely different on the 40D, but the behavior is likely the same. The way this functions is named is really confusing, but the net effect is that the auto focus is moved from the shutter button to the * button (which you press with your thumb). In this mode, the camera acts essentially like a manual focus body because the focus will stay where you set it from shot to shot. However, if you want to use auto focus, just point the center dot at your target, press the * button and you are focused where you want to be. Give or take a bit, you can use the AF system as a faster and more accurate replacement for the split prisim on your T90.
  • Options
    DaveKDaveK Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Glenn NK wrote:

At first it may be a bit awkward, but I would estimate that 99 percent of people that try this method, stay with it.

Great tip. It inspires me to go back to my own manual and explore other settings and functions I have missed as well. mwink.gif
    Dave Keith
    "Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take photographs." -- Helmut Newton